• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change in Beneficiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abercrombiem1

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My mother passed away on Aug. 5, 2005. My mother died of hepatic failure due to cirrhosis of the liver. The last few months before she died, her mind was "not what it used to be" due to the symptoms of her illness. It was during this time that she mailed a change in beneficiary form to the ins. co. The changes made were drastic -- changing from splitting 56,000 3 ways (44%, 28%, 28%) to splitting 56,000 10 ways equally. I believe that she made a mistake by not providing the specific amounts for each of the 10 beneficiaries and the ins. co. therefore split it evenly. The ins. co. has already mailed out the checks. Do I have reason to contest the change in beneficiaries based on diminished mental capacity? Is it too late to do so?

Thanks.

Dandy Don

You have no legal basis for a complaint. She certainly had the presence of mind and the right to make whatever changes she wished.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">