• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change in Benefits???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizbeth17

What is the name of your state? CA

A school district has informed us that our "out of pocket" expenses will be going up if we have Blue Cross. They have estimated it to be 130.00 extra a month starting in October of 2006. However, they have said that this is not guaranteed and that in can change depending on new employees, people switching insurance, etc. We have to decide whether or not to switch our plan by June 23rd, however they won't know what the out of pocket expense will be until Sept. 2006....Is this common practice? It's possible it could be 200.00 out of pocket by Sept. but then it will be too late to switch...:confused:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's quite common. An employer can be in negotiations with carriers trying to get the best deal for the least money, right up to the very last minute. It's not a process that happens overnight.

lizbeth17

I understand that

cbg said:
It's quite common. An employer can be in negotiations with carriers trying to get the best deal for the least money, right up to the very last minute. It's not a process that happens overnight.
I understand they can be in negotiations with the carrier, I was just wondering how they can expect us to know whether or not to switch carriers when they don't even know the specifics. They have said if nothing changes with the employees than the 130 a month is what we can expect, but if something does change, then the 130 can change. So are they really still negotiating with the carrier?? It sounds more like they are waiting to see what we (the employees, new employees do)

garrula lingua

Has anyone suggested to the union negotiators that the enrollment period should be extended from June to Oct ? Or there should be a second enrollmt period in Oct ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Maybe isn't the best way of handling things, but doesn't violate any laws that I know of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">