• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change in custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband is the NCP of his daughter. We live in a different state from her as well. Suppose we move to Ohio. Would it be possible to go to court for joint custody and what would be the likelihood of such a battle? What factors would be relevant in a judge granting joint custody? The parents were never married. Child support is current and visitation is utilized. Parents are civil although not friendly.


Senior Member
Was paternity ever established by signing an affadavit of paternity or DNA testing? Is there a previous custody order? And is there a visitation order now?

If paternity hasn't been established, he's probably going to have to do that first.

My personal opinion is that he has a decent chance of getting joint custody.

You can also take a look at the following site. It has some good info on custody.

Last edited:


Would the bio mom agree to this? If so, its almost guarenteed, if she wont, I'm not sure of the chances, but i think joint physical is a great idea, good luck:p ;) :D
Bio mother would doubtfully agree, although I have been surprised before. DNA testing was done. Mother has custody, as father returned to an out of state residence. Current visitation is the Standard Order of Visitation in Ohio. Bio mother wanted it modified at one point, but I suggested that both sets of parents attempt to cooperate before running up a lawyer's tab...it has worked now for past 3 years. Child is 10.

Now the real question: if joint physical custody is granted...what happens to child support order?

-thanks for replies


My hubby has joint physical custody, and we don't pay childsupport, while my ss is with us. When he gos to his moms, if she opens a case, then we would pay support. We tried to get a $0 order of childsupport signed, but the procecuting attorney would'nt do it cause bio mom has a history of being on welfare, so now we take her word, that she wont open a case up. See if you could get a order of support at $0(if you get joint) I know for sure though, that while the child resides with you, you will not have to pay support..:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential