• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change in working conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am a school crossing guard. (I knew that liberal arts degree would pay off). Our boss (a patronage hire) decided he wanted to lead an army. He got the city to shell out for a trip to FL to become a "certified crossing guard trainer." We had to attend crossing guard training and take a test on which we had to score "at least a 75."

Some of the new procedures are ridiculous. We now have to teach proper crossing procedures. Each time a student arrives at my corner, I am to instruct each student to "look left, right, left." EACH AND EVERY TIME. That's 360 rights and 720 lefts per student per year. Other changes include no sitting in cars (I don't), no chairs, (I have none) and no radios (my lifeline, but I turn it off when students approach). Also, no umbrellas and no chatting with passersby, as we need to maintain "a professional appearance."

Does all of this nonsense constitute a change in working conditions? I was not hired to teach anyone anything. We have a contract through SEIU.

Also, the crossing guards in the FL city where this program was developed make three times the money we do. I checked. Should we get paid more for this teaching nonsense?

Also, I have been diagnosed over the summer with Stage 3 cancer. Can they fire me for missing work for treatment? My friend hurt her shoulder (at home) and was given time off to recover.

Ladyback1

Also, I have been diagnosed over the summer with Stage 3 cancer. Can they fire me for missing work for treatment? My friend hurt her shoulder (at home) and was given time off to recover.
Make sure you fill out FMLA paperwork (assuming that you and your co. meet the requirements). If the treatments will cause you to miss days/hours, then you should qualify for FMLA,
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does all of this nonsense constitute a change in working conditions? I was not hired to teach anyone anything. We have a contract through SEIU.

Also, the crossing guards in the FL city where this program was developed make three times the money we do. I checked. Should we get paid more for this teaching nonsense?

When you asked your union rep these questions, what did he say? (HINT - I have not read your contract)

Also, I have been diagnosed over the summer with Stage 3 cancer. Can they fire me for missing work for treatment?

I'm very sorry to hear that (sincerely). Not as long as you are covered by FMLA (if you are).

NellieBly

When you asked your union rep these questions, what did he say? (HINT - I have not read your contract)

Also, I have been diagnosed over the summer with Stage 3 cancer. Can they fire me for missing work for treatment?

I'm very sorry to hear that (sincerely). Not as long as you are covered by FMLA (if you are).

Mr Union Guy has yet to return my phone calls.

I don't think I work enough hours to qualify for FMLA.

Thanks for your concern.

NellieBly

Make sure you fill out FMLA paperwork (assuming that you and your co. meet the requirements). If the treatments will cause you to miss days/hours, then you should qualify for FMLA,
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/
I work for the municipal government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">