• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change legal name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dinau38

I am wondering how you go about changing your legal name. I am a 20 year old adult and wish to have no contacts with my legal father, and assume my mothers maiden name. Where do I start?

usmcfamily

Contact the clerk of the court at your local courthouse and ask for the "petition for name change" packet - the papers you need to complete and file are included along with easy to follow step-by-step instructions to complete them. As you are an adult you will not need the permission of anyone to change your name - you will simply need to follow the instructions provided and file the papers, pay the filing fee and it will go from there. The packet will provide you with a more detailed outline of the actual steps/timeline you are going to need to follow. If the clerk of the court is unable to help you can also purchase these papers at any one of the thousands of "legal form" stores that are in the yellow pages and many have paralegals on staff to complete them for you (for a fee of course) so that you will be sure it is done properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">