• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Address within County

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

No. It's not a "moot point". OP said nothing of hiding the child. The OP has already been advised by a Family Law Attorney from his/her home state.
I don't know what made me look at this particular post, but please explain to the OP, in detail, why she has any obligation to let her ex know her address once their child is a legal adult and no longer subject to court orders.

Based on your statement are you attempting to assert that the OP is legally mandated to let her ex know her address for the rest of her life, even once their child is a legal adult? If a family law attorney in her home state said that she is required to do so even though her child is about to turn 18, then I will suggest to the OP that they wait until the day of their child's 18th birthday to schedule the moving truck....because I am certain that no family law attorney would state that she was required to provide her address to her ex once the child was no longer subject to court orders.

Just Blue

I don't know what made me look at this particular post, but please explain to the OP, in detail, why she has any obligation to let her ex know her address once their child is a legal adult and no longer subject to court orders.

Based on your statement are you attempting to assert that the OP is legally mandated to let her ex know her address for the rest of her life, even once their child is a legal adult? If a family law attorney in her home state said that she is required to do so even though her child is about to turn 18, then I will suggest to the OP that they wait until the day of their child's 18th birthday to schedule the moving truck....because I am certain that no family law attorney would state that she was required to provide her address to her ex once the child was no longer subject to court orders.
OhioGAL, the OHIO ATTORNEY/GAL has advised OP. And yes. OP must file with the court. Per Ohio Law. As stated by the Ohio Family Law attorney.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Even when kiddo ages out, there could be provisions in the order (I'm thinking specifically wrt ongoing education & associated costs) wherein it would behoove OP to make sure the other parent knows the address. And unless there is a threat from the ex? Meh - who cares. As I tell my Mom (who is deathly paranoid about "them" finding out her address) - easy enough to find in about 30 seconds on the 'Net.

LdiJ

Even when kiddo ages out, there could be provisions in the order (I'm thinking specifically wrt ongoing education & associated costs) wherein it would behoove OP to make sure the other parent knows the address. And unless there is a threat from the ex? Meh - who cares. As I tell my Mom (who is deathly paranoid about "them" finding out her address) - easy enough to find in about 30 seconds on the 'Net.
Obviously the poster has some reason for not wanting her ex to have her address.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Obviously the poster has some reason for not wanting her ex to have her address.
Huh? Where did you draw that conclusion from? It was never, ever mentioned, nor even implied by the OP. Here is the OP's post, to refresh your memory:

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have sole custody a 17 year old who will be 18 in a few months. His father has visitation. We are filed in Summit County. I have lived in Wayne county for 10 years. I am about to move to another residence in Wayne County. Do I need to file a change of address with Summit County Family Court?

It seems to me that the OP wants to know if she has to file the change of address notice. MY take on it is that, for the OP, it's an administrative "chore" that would be easier left undone if not required by law.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Huh? Where did you draw that conclusion from? It was never, ever mentioned, nor even implied by the OP. Here is the OP's post, to refresh your memory:

It seems to me that the OP wants to know if she has to file the change of address notice. MY take on it is that, for the OP, it's an administrative "chore" that would be easier left undone if not required by law.
If that is true, and it's just an administrative chore, then she might as well do it. I took it as she didn't want her ex to have her address. If that is not the case, the it doesn't matter.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If that is true, and it's just an administrative chore, then she might as well do it. I took it as she didn't want her ex to have her address. If that is not the case, the it doesn't matter.
The thing is, unless there is a legal reason to justify the ex not having her address (like a restraining order), her preference doesn't matter.

Just Blue

It's actually concerning that, based on the opening post, you "took it" as the member is hiding the child. There is absolutely NOTHING to indicate that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP, LDIJ is not an attorney. She claims she is a tax professional in Indiana. I gave you the law that is required to be filed. You need to file a notice of relocation. End of story. And it needs filed at least 60 days ahead of the move as that is Summit County's standard. Doesn't matter when you are moving. Go here: http://drcourt.org/wp/forms/

Look at the Standard visitation schedule.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't know what made me look at this particular post but please explain to the OP, in detail, why she has any obligation to let her ex know her address once their child is a legal adult and no longer subject to court orders.

The notice has to be filed 60 days AHEAD of, before, prior to the move. That is the requirement in Summit County.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
IT IS THE LAW. Stay off Ohio threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">