• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of beneficiary turned in after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LC_LA

What is the name of your state?LA

The life ins. co has sent me a letter stating that my brother turned in a change of benificiary form along with his claim form increasing his portion, this happening after our mother's death. The form was apparently signed by my mother although i do not have a copy yet. The ins. co. wants to know if i have an objection. Will this change form be deemed valid although it was turned in after the insured's death?

BelizeBreeze

LC_LA said:
What is the name of your state?LA

The life ins. co has sent me a letter stating that my brother turned in a change of benificiary form along with his claim form increasing his portion, this happening after our mother's death. The form was apparently signed by my mother although i do not have a copy yet. The ins. co. wants to know if i have an objection. Will this change form be deemed valid although it was turned in after the insured's death?
That depends entirely on when the form was signed. Object. What do you have to lose.

L

LC_LA

BelizeBreeze said:
That depends entirely on when the form was signed. Object. What do you have to lose.
probably a couple of months before she passed. I don't know why he held on to it rather than turning it in right away. I don't want to get in a big fight if i have no leg to stand on anyway.

BelizeBreeze

LC_LA said:
probably a couple of months before she passed. I don't know why he held on to it rather than turning it in right away. I don't want to get in a big fight if i have no leg to stand on anyway.
I meant BY HER. listen, either object or not, that's up to you.

Dandy Don

Yes, please do object and be sure to request a copy of the document so you can examine the signature to see if it looks valid and so you can also see if it has been notarized and/or witnessed. It looks suspicious for him to be turning it in AFTER she dies (why didn't he do it before she died so that the change could be verified with her while she was still alive?), but it's also possible that it might have been valid.

As far as you know did brother have a signed Power of Attorney from her authorizing him to handle her financial affairs?

Did she leave a will that is being probated to handle her other assets?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">