• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mossy

What is the name of your state?Georgia
My mother was diagnosed terminally ill in Jan 2005. She passed away in June 2005. Years ago she changed the beneficary on her life insurange because she had divorced. She was divorced from this man in 1984 but lived with him from 1985 until she passed in 2005. She left her beneficary the same because she did not trust this may would take care of her final expenses.
The week after she passed a letter came to her attn from the insurance company acknowledging that she changed the owner of the policy to the ex husband????? Is there a law in Ga or a general rule for insurance companys on changing status of insurance when a person is terminally ill. Also can a beneficiary be changed along with the owner???? I think her ex husband is trying to pull something illegal because she didnt sign anything as she was not able to write and I was named as her poa and am also the executor of her will. He will not let me touch anything that belongs to her not even her
clothing. He has put up "no trespassing" signs in the yard. I am going to probate her will today as I just got the death certificate. What about property that is not covered in the will. The house was in both of their names. Is there a grandfather clause in the "common law" that went out of effect in 1997??
He is very vindictive and I dont know whether he is considered an heir or not............
Can he contest this will??? very confused in GEORGIA

anteater

Your various question could probably be answered in isolation. However, you have so many "moving parts" here that you really should employ a good estate attorney who can see the entire picture and advise you on what to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">