• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Payee notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alezajex

South Carolina

I pay spousal support & child support on time to ex bank account. Today I received a payee notification letter from Social Services. In that attached forms I saw that ex said that I didn’t pay in May. Which I did.

my question, instead of paying Ex, now I have to write checks to Social services. What are benefits to my Ex. The dollar amount would be same & I was paying on time. Is social services giving her more benefits?

can I call social services & find out?

Your ex may have tried applying for benefits she would not be eligible for if you are paying. The benefits of paying through Social Services are all to you. You will have proof that you are paying. It will take longer for her to receive the money.

quincy

South Carolina

I pay spousal support & child support on time to ex bank account. Today I received a payee notification letter from Social Services. In that attached forms I saw that ex said that I didn’t pay in May. Which I did.

my question, instead of paying Ex, now I have to write checks to Social services. What are benefits to my Ex. The dollar amount would be same & I was paying on time. Is social services giving her more benefits?

can I call social services & find out?
You might find that you have to pay a small service fee (usually a couple of dollars extra per month) for Social Services to handle the collection and disbursement of the support payments.

Other than that, SS will keep a record of all payments received and disbursed so that you are protected from false claims of nonpayment. That advantage is to you. The advantage to your ex is that, once a schedule is set up, she can better rely on a regular payment coming at a regular time.

The above is assuming that Social Services is not inept.

alezajex

Thanks all

my concern why would she go that direction, when she is getting payment on time? Is she planning For future incase I default. What happens if I default?

also if I am paying $500. Minus fees from SS she would get $450 as an example. This is not good for her?Or is she getting more benefits from SS + my payment?

Bali Hai Again

You might find that you have to pay a small service fee (usually a couple of dollars extra per month) for Social Services to handle the collection and disbursement of the support payments.

Other than that, SS will keep a record of all payments received and disbursed so that you are protected from false claims of nonpayment. That advantage is to you. The advantage to your ex is that, once a schedule is set up, she can better rely on a regular payment coming at a regular time.

The above is assuming that Social Services is not inept.
A very important qualifying statement these days and not only applies to SS.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You will find that the ex can no longer lie about what you have paid.
Thanks all

my concern why would she go that direction, when she is getting payment on time? Is she planning For future incase I default. What happens if I default?

also if I am paying $500. Minus fees from SS she would get $450 as an example. This is not good for her?Or is she getting more benefits from SS + my payment?
A great reason to go this direction, from her perspective, is a consistent accounting of what has been paid, no need to physically deposit/cash a check, and not having to chase you for the money. If you fall behind, the state can seize a bank account or intercept your tax refund to help make up the difference.

A great reason to go this direction, from your perception, is to decrease her ability to claim in court that you're a deadbeat, since the court can see your record of payments.

quincy

Thanks all

She would get the full amount she is due ($500). You would be paying any extra fees (they are minimal).

If you are employed, you (generally/sometimes?) can have your employer deduct from your wages the spousal support and child support and your employer (payroll) can send it to SS. All of this can be taken care of for you so you don’t have to worry about late or missed payments.

https://dss.sc.gov/child-support/contact-us/

adjusterjack

Today I received a payee notification letter from Social Services. In that attached forms I saw that ex said that I didn’t pay in May. Which I did.
Then wouldn't it make sense to call social services and say "I did pay and I have documentation of payment"?

Yeah, today's Saturday so call first thing Monday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">