• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of status B-2 to F-1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mausmo

I have a friend who came in the USA with a tourist visa last month. Meanwhile, she decided she wants to study here in the USA. I know there are two options to change her status from B-2 to F-1, one to go to a consulate outside of USA, the other option is to apply from the USA. She needs an advise which option is better for her. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you, looking forward to your response

FlyingRon

The first step is that she has to get approved by some school that is approved for such visas. You can't even begin the process before that.
The next question is how long is left on her B-2. If the B-2 won't carry her up to within 30 days of the start of coursework, she can't adjust from within the US.

One option is not better than the other. The question is whether she intends to remain her until her classes start or if she intends to leave the US.

mausmo

She found a school that is approved by USCIS. They told her most likely she will be approved to their school.

She have 5 months on her B-2 visa.

She intends to remain here until her classes start.

FlyingRon

Not her visa, but her duration of stay on the I-94. She needs to have sufficient duration to stay (or extend it).

Knowing officers from immigration some may question her motives.
When your friend applied for her visa she probably put on her application that the purpose of her visit was for a vacation, but only 30 days later she's saying she now wants to stay in the US and study, and in that 30 days rather than enjoying her vacation she has been contacting schools?
What nationality is your friend?

FlyingRon

Coming here to look for schools in not incompatible with entering on a tourist visa.
Note, I took it at your word that she really has a B-2. If she came in on a VWP she can't apply from the US. But since you mention a duration of stay of six moths, it sounds like its not VWP (typically only 90 days).

t74

Other forums report long delays for COS to F-1 visa. She should exit for stamping and reenter just before classes begin. She may not attend class on B-2 visa status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">