• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of support

  • Thread starter Teresa Fernandez
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Teresa Fernandez

we live in california, i have custody of two teenage daughts and the father is currently paying 356.00 a month for the two and i want to change it. if he makes about 3500.00 a month on his income alone and 6000.00-7000.00 a month with his wifes income what about should he be paying? TF


concerned stepmom

it does sound as though he should be paying more BUT as a stepmother, if my husband's ex-wife even considered trying to get some of my income, i would have to go to jail because there is NO WAY i would agree to that without a fight! your support should be based solely on the income of the parents regardless if you could get some of his wife's income. would you like it if someone was able to take away your hard-earned income when you have no legal or biological rights???? in the judicial system's eyes, step parents have no rights to their stepchildren, so they shouldn't be held financial responsible for supporting the children or the exwife!
Sorry to be so rude but to think you are considering this infuriates me and i'm sure other stepmoms!

I am Just A Mom

stepmoom's income

Sorry if you think the stepmom's income will be considered, because it is irrelevant to your issue. Child support is figured on the income of the parents of the child, not household income. It does seem like he is paying an awfully small amount for what he makes so maybe you'll still have a good outcome with your pursuit. I wish you luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential