• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Texas
I had a daughter when I was 18 with a boyfriend. He and I never got married. After I had her, we broke-up because he was selling/using cocaine. We didn't see him very often for the first two years of my daughter's life. He got clean and became a part of her life. We finally went to court to arrange visitation and child support when my daughter was three. We have the standard Wed. night, every first, third, fifth weekend agreement.

Things were ok for a while. My daughter is seven now and she just told me that her dad has been treating her horribly for a long time. She didn't want to tell me because she thought I would be mad at him. He tells her things like, "I would be better off without kids." He yells at her all the time. I even have suspicions that he may be selling and/or using drugs again.

It's actually a lot longer story than this, but the message would be too long. I will give a quick rundown. He almost never picks her up on Wed. nights. I can't sign her up for soccer anymore because even though when I talked to him about it beforehand he said, "I will be the best soccer dad," he didn't bring her to the games that fell on his weekend, so she missed almost half the games last season. He is supposed to provide health insurance for her and it is sporadic. According to the order, he is also supposed to pay half of all medical not covered. I always give him copies of everything with the total he owes and I have never received reimbursement. She does not have health insurance now. He never, absolutely NEVER brings her home on time after his weekends. He is always at least 15 minutes late, but usually more like 30 min to an hour. As far as I know there is nothing I can do about any of this.

I cannot allow my daughter to be treated this way. Her entire personality has changed. She used to be very outgoing and sure of herself and now she is scared of everything. She frequently tells me that she wishes she wasn't born. I now know that it is because her father is telling her this. She comes home from his house and she is just crushed. She doesn't like going anymore. Is there anything I can do?


Senior Member
As long as there is a court order for visitation, she has to go. You can, however, file contempt against him for non-payment of medical expenses and win provided you can prove you have given him receipts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential