• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changed my locks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

euliving

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have METRO paying a large portion of my rent. I went to Europe to be with my wife and baby to look for work. METRO said I have 3 weeks but while I was gone, they didn't pay my rent and my landlord has ALREADY changed the locks on my door! They said I have to pay 2 months rent or they will take and hold all of my belongings plus charge me storage fee.

I have lived there for 8 years and never once late. I am now only 13 days late and they said they would not do anything until the 17th. I said I would be back before that and we will correct the situation then!

Those are my personal belongings! How can they do this or -can- they do it?

Cvillecpm

Did you advise your landlord IN WRITING that you were going to EUROPE - when you were leaving and when you were returning? so that he would not THINK you had abandoned the property.

Notification clauses like this are COMMON so that landlord do NOT assume a tenant has skipped, abandoned or just disappeared.

euliving

No, I did not give them in writing when I would leave and return. But my landlord knew about it. She is really cool and I can tell her anything but her greedy boss is another story.

Can I give her a letter in writing now about my return? I will pay the back rent and I will move out AS SOON as I return but I can't lose my things. I have a set of dishes which has been in my family for 3 generations. Imagine if they break them or steal them when they remove my things!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">