• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Child Custody/Visitation Orders and need referrals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cahm8791

Colorado
My wife was previously married and her and her ex had two children. The ex was a deadbeat kind of dad who cheated on her and my wife divorced him. There were many factors that the courts looked at including my wife's past and the ex's past and current situation as well as his new fiancée who was abusive to the girls. The courts appointed a caseworker/investigator to investigate the children's living situation and conditions of my wife, her ex and his fiancée. The investigator bent the truth about some things but in the end, the courts ordered that the children live with my wife's parents, but my wife had full control of the kids and the decision making. The dad had supervised visits and the fiancée was banned from seeing the kids. That was all before we got married or even engaged and now that we are, we are hesitant to have the children live with us at least full time as we don't want to risk losing the children due to breaking any court orders plus the dad is a jerk who would report even false things to police if he felt like it. Anyways, the court orders state that if any changes are to be made, my wife and/or her ex must undergo a "forensic assessment" or basically a psychological evaluation before we can even approach the courts. My wife and I have tried doing this but when we ask how, we get the run around over and over. The Denver County Self Help Center said we just request it at the appropriate office and turn in the forms to the court, but at the place that performs the assessment, they said they have to have a referral from someone in the courts, or other places before they can perform the assessment. We've talked to Denver Human Resources, Denver Courts, and so many others who keep pointing us in different directions. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any ideas? We re at a loss and we want our babies home with us all the time without worries.

Just Blue

Colorado
My wife was previously married and her and her ex had two children. The ex was a deadbeat kind of dad who cheated on her and my wife divorced him. There were many factors that the courts looked at including my wife's past and the ex's past and current situation as well as his new fiancée who was abusive to the girls. The courts appointed a caseworker/investigator to investigate the children's living situation and conditions of my wife, her ex and his fiancée. The investigator bent the truth about some things but in the end, the courts ordered that the children live with my wife's parents, but my wife had full control of the kids and the decision making. The dad had supervised visits and the fiancée was banned from seeing the kids. That was all before we got married or even engaged and now that we are, we are hesitant to have the children live with us at least full time as we don't want to risk losing the children due to breaking any court orders plus the dad is a jerk who would report even false things to police if he felt like it. Anyways, the court orders state that if any changes are to be made, my wife and/or her ex must undergo a "forensic assessment" or basically a psychological evaluation before we can even approach the courts. My wife and I have tried doing this but when we ask how, we get the run around over and over. The Denver County Self Help Center said we just request it at the appropriate office and turn in the forms to the court, but at the place that performs the assessment, they said they have to have a referral from someone in the courts, or other places before they can perform the assessment. We've talked to Denver Human Resources, Denver Courts, and so many others who keep pointing us in different directions. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any ideas? We re at a loss and we want our babies home with us all the time without worries.
Why were the children placed with your in-laws? What was wrong with your wife at that time that she was deemed unfit to have custody? Do she have mental health issues? Criminal issues? What is your criminal background?
How long have the children been living with your in-laws? How often does your wife visit?

BTW: The children are NOT your babies. They are your step-children.

cahm8791

Of course they are not MY babies in the sense of they came from me, but when I am the one that has supported them emotionally and financially for the past 3 years and their dead beat dad visits for 1 hour a week at best the whole time watching his phone for his hour to end and avoids child support as much as possible, yeah my wife and I have the right to call them OUR babies. Learn to be a little more sensitive to situations you don't understand.

Just Blue

Of course they are not MY babies in the sense of they came from me, but when I am the one that has supported them emotionally and financially for the past 3 years and their dead beat dad visits for 1 hour a week at best the whole time watching his phone for his hour to end and avoids child support as much as possible, yeah my wife and I have the right to call them OUR babies. Learn to be a little more sensitive to situations you don't understand.
They are still not your babies...even if you love them like they are yours. Remember, this is a LEGAL site and in the eyes of the law you are considered a "legal stranger". Anyone who is not either the mother/father or court ordered guardian is considered a legal stranger. So you can stomp your feet, toss vulgar insults and so forth...at the end of the day you are still not the father to these children and should try to not overstep your place as a stepparent.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, well.... you should advise your wife to post for herself about her children. This is not your legal situation.

Just Blue

Seriously...clam down. This is a legal site and we stress using legal terms...just like you would in court. Stop taking it so personally. Overinvolved stepparents can cause HUGE legal problems for their spouse...just read through some of the threads here.

Get rid of the chip you have on your shoulder before a judge see's it.

cahm8791

Well, we certainly aren't going to get help from you'll with smartass comments like being made above. I don't care if I get banned. I can create thousands of accounts and so forth and do this all day until I get an answer that solves my families problem. Thank you and good day.

Just Blue

Well, we certainly aren't going to get help from you'll with smartass comments like being made above. I don't care if I get banned. I can create thousands of accounts and so forth and do this all day until I get an answer that solves my families problem. Thank you and good day.
Yeah...good luck with that. The volunteers that advice here do so at just about every site. Seriously...calm down. Nothing was said to cause this type of reaction. Frankly ...you are displaying such bizarre anger one would hope you don't have contact with children. Any children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">