• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing company healthcare plan in the middle of pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LCW47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am 7 months pregnant and my company is changing healthcare plans, effective June 1. The old plan covered childbirth/delivery at a $500 copay. The new plan has a deductible and co-insurance that will cost me at a minimum $5,200. Obviously this is a huge increase that I had not expected, and frankly cannot afford.

Can my employer do this - essentially pull the rug out from underneath me in the middle of a "pre-existing condition"? Do I have any rights to stay on the "old" plan since that's the plan I started on when I got pregnant and that's the insurance I thought I would have when I deliver? Had I known it was going to cost me over $5000, I would have waited to get pregnant and saved more money.

What if I quit and take Cobra? (It would be cheaper) Would Cobra coverage mean I get my current insurance plan until I am no longer eligible for Cobra; or I would still have to take the new/June 1 plan since that is the group coverage the company will be offering?

Thanks for any guidance through this mess!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe (and can prove) that the company changed health plans SOLELY because you are pregnant, which I seriously doubt that you can, yes, the employer can do this. The only exception would be if a legally binding contract or CBA specifically and expressly gave you the right to THAT plan and THAT plan only, which I also seriously doubt exists.

No, you have no "right" to stay on the old plan. Additionally, the insurance carrier is not going to allow you to stay on the plan when it has been cancelled for all other employees.

If you quit and take COBRA, it will be on the new plan that the company now offers. If the old plan is cancelled with an effective date of June 1, there are NO circumstances whatsoever under which you can remain on it later than May 31.

ecmst12

HOWEVER, IF you are married and IF your husband has coverage through his employer and IF that coverage is better then the new plan you will be switching to at your work, then your changing plans SHOULD be considered a qualifying event to allow you to drop your coverage with your employer and enroll with your husband's plan. I know that's a lot of if's, but it's something at least. But don't wait to investigate this option - if it's available, you will only have 30 days from 6/1 to enroll in his plan and drop yours - and the sooner, the better!

CourtClerk

depending on your income and how many weeks you are you may have a few days to qualify for access for infants and mothers(aim). the cut off is 30 weeks. if you are under 30 weeks then you better hurry and fax it in asap.

AIM Program - The California Access for Infants and Mothers Program

i would also suggest you look into healthy families for your unborn child if your insurance premium is too high.
Seeing as if both AIM and Healthy Families are both on the budget chopping block, I wouldn't consider them as viable options...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">