• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing from J1 status because of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



state: florida

My husband and I are Canadians living in Florida on J1 status (I'm, J2). We are not subject to the home residency requirement. My husband has been offered and has accepted employment as a profressor at the university (he has a Masters degree and will soon have a Phd). Would H1b or TN status be preferable? Can he change to H1 status without hiring a lawyer? Can he change to TN status without leaving the US and then re-entering, and how do we do this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential