• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing jlx separation code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mjmmusser

How hard is it to get a jlx separation changed to a medical disability discharge after 20 years.

Background:
During my tenure at NAS JAX I was discharged given a jlx separation order. I was told I could get that or a dishonorable discharge.
Approximately a month before my discharge happened we were getting ready for deployment. Prior to deployment a petty officer needed his household items moved into storage. He came to first lieutenant and asked for volunteers. I volunteered for it along with some other squadron mates from first lieutenant.
During the move we were hauling out a couch through a gate which required us to lift it over our heads. Once we got through the gate the person who was helping me carry the couch threw it down without any notice, taking my head with it. I went to the hospital on base and was diagnosed with a concussion and torn muscles in my neck and shoulder. Shortly afterwards (before separation) I started having severe shaking spells which were diagnosed less than a month after discharge as seizures(I actually had a grand mal seizure). I also became suicidal and started having irrational fears(reason I was discharged) which continue to this day. 4 years after discharge I was diagnosed with bipolar(I) due to a tbi. Which all the symptoms started shortly after the head/neck injury. Also approximately a year later, prior to surgery on my lip, I also found out I had broken my neck previously. Which could have only happened at the time of the head/neck injury.
During discharge, I was never examined by a psychiatrist or a psychologist. I never seen a doctor for the suicidal thoughts. No evaluations whatsoever. I was just given the discharge for personality disorder. The only person I spoke with was the chaplain about the suicidal thoughts.
I never had any psychiatric problems before entering. In fact I enjoyed life and was extremely outgoing. After I came back I realized everything was different. My thoughts were cloudy. I became a recluse and hid myself away from everyone, including my long time friends and family. I had irrational fears that I never had before. I remember wanting to be the happy person I was but couldn't force myself to be that way no matter how hard I tried.
Now I sit here with severe headaches, neck pain, bipolar(II), fibromyalgia, vertigo, tinnitus, among other things.
I just would like to know if it would be easy to change my separation code since none of the symptoms started until after the injury. Like i said, I was kind of forced into this jlx discharge or get a dishonorable discharge. The chaplain tried to get me a different separation code that would allow me to use the veterans affairs hospital, but my command would only give me the jlx or dishonorable. I never tried to go to the VA because upon discharge I was told that I wouldn't qualify and to not talk about my discharge. Anything else, just ask.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
How hard is it to get a jlx separation changed to a medical disability discharge after 20 years.

Background:
During my tenure at NAS JAX I was discharged given a jlx separation order. I was told I could get that or a dishonorable discharge.
Approximately a month before my discharge happened we were getting ready for deployment. Prior to deployment a petty officer needed his household items moved into storage. He came to first lieutenant and asked for volunteers. I volunteered for it along with some other squadron mates from first lieutenant.
During the move we were hauling out a couch through a gate which required us to lift it over our heads. Once we got through the gate the person who was helping me carry the couch threw it down without any notice, taking my head with it. I went to the hospital on base and was diagnosed with a concussion and torn muscles in my neck and shoulder. Shortly afterwards (before separation) I started having severe shaking spells which were diagnosed less than a month after discharge as seizures(I actually had a grand mal seizure). I also became suicidal and started having irrational fears(reason I was discharged) which continue to this day. 4 years after discharge I was diagnosed with bipolar(I) due to a tbi. Which all the symptoms started shortly after the head/neck injury. Also approximately a year later, prior to surgery on my lip, I also found out I had broken my neck previously. Which could have only happened at the time of the head/neck injury.
During discharge, I was never examined by a psychiatrist or a psychologist. I never seen a doctor for the suicidal thoughts. No evaluations whatsoever. I was just given the discharge for personality disorder. The only person I spoke with was the chaplain about the suicidal thoughts.
I never had any psychiatric problems before entering. In fact I enjoyed life and was extremely outgoing. After I came back I realized everything was different. My thoughts were cloudy. I became a recluse and hid myself away from everyone, including my long time friends and family. I had irrational fears that I never had before. I remember wanting to be the happy person I was but couldn't force myself to be that way no matter how hard I tried.
Now I sit here with severe headaches, neck pain, bipolar(II), fibromyalgia, vertigo, tinnitus, among other things.
I just would like to know if it would be easy to change my separation code since none of the symptoms started until after the injury. Like i said, I was kind of forced into this jlx discharge or get a dishonorable discharge. The chaplain tried to get me a different separation code that would allow me to use the veterans affairs hospital, but my command would only give me the jlx or dishonorable. I never tried to go to the VA because upon discharge I was told that I wouldn't qualify and to not talk about my discharge. Anything else, just ask.

So you were already being discharged for suicidal ideations and paranoia, which may or may not have been exacerbated by the head injury. Which means that some of your symptoms predated your injury.

To answer your main question: No. It would not be easy to change your separation code. Between the time that's passed since your discharge, and the fact that you were already being separated for mental health issues, it would be very, very difficult to prove that the discharge was in error.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to try: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/personnelconductandseparations/Pages/EnlistedSeparations.aspx

Mjmmusser

Maybe I didn't get the message across correctly. The discharge didn't start until after the head injury. The suicidal thoughts and fears started shortly after the head injury and prior to my discharge. I never had any thoughts of self harm or anxiety issues before the injury happened. I was a happy outgoing person prior to the head injury.

I've talked to family and they also noticed that I came out of the military a very different person than what I went in as. They noticed a difference between when I came home on leave in April 1998 and when I was discharged in July 1998.

Mjmmusser

By the way, the separation code is jfx, not jlx. Personality disorder is what the separation code was for according to my dd214. Personality disorder is inherited, bipolar disorder can be caused by a traumatic brain injury (concussion) along with fibromyalgia and epilepsy which all started before my discharge started and after my head injury. I've been diagnosed by 5 different psychiatrists and one psychologist since I have been discharged. I have never been diagnosed as having a personality disorder, besides for the reason for discharge and I was never even diagnosed by a doctor in the military. It seems that I was just given that label for discharge reasons because I was suicidal.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Maybe I didn't get the message across correctly. The discharge didn't start until after the head injury. The suicidal thoughts and fears started shortly after the head injury and prior to my discharge. I never had any thoughts of self harm or anxiety issues before the injury happened. I was a happy outgoing person prior to the head injury.

I've talked to family and they also noticed that I came out of the military a very different person than what I went in as. They noticed a difference between when I came home on leave in April 1998 and when I was discharged in July 1998.
The deadline for filing an appeal has passed. You had 15 years from the date of discharge.

If you're still having difficulties with depression, you can get treatment at any Vet Center, which does not concern itself with discharge status. https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">