• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing life insurance beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sjones68

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
My sister had filed for divorce and days later my brother in law changed his life insurance beneficiary to a daughter of a previous marriage and killed himself two days later. The insurance company had not yet gotten this information into their records and sent her(my sister) letters about the claim then called back the next day and told her they had found record of where my brother in law had changed the beneficiary to his oldest daughter. My sister has two dependent children from this marriage. Does anyone have any information or knowledge that would be helpful in recovering some of the insurance monies for her children. Can she challenge his mental capacity? Anything? TIA

L

louiebingo

It prbably wont matter suicide ususally means they wont have to pay the claim.

He thought it was smart thing to do but killing yourself is not going to give the beneficary any money.

S

sjones68

The policy was over two years old and most policies do pay if the suicide does not occur within the first two years.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If he had changed the beneficiary to his daughter then unless your state has a law that says the spouse MUST receive at least a portion of an insurance policy (possible but unlikely) then she is out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">