• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing life insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elizabeth2

What is the name of your state? ny
My MIL is dying of cancer. She is living in an assisted living facility paid for by her social security/medicaid/and county funds. She has no other income, and can keep 50$ a month for personal items. She had a will with the beneficiaries listed as her 2 sons. One of her sons had her mortgage her house 3 years ago and he kept all the money (30,000$). We did not find this out until it became apparant he was using drugs ( he moved drug dealers into her apt.-this is when we moved her out to keep her safe) She has 2 or 3 term life insurance policies (with both sons listed as beneficiaries) for small amounts that may be enough to cover her funeral expenses. My husband (the other son) and I have been paying the premiums. He has power of attorney. Can he change the beneficiary to just himself? Would it be better to change it to the funeral home? Can the policy be changed listing him as the owner of the policy? Can his brother contest the change-it would be just like him to want the money for himself and not pay for the funeral. Any advise?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">