• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing my appearance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am a mechanic and hurt my shoulder while on the job. I am on workman's compensation and have undergone surgery and now am going thru physical therapy. My doctor had me as total disabled up until physical therapy is done in January and they do an assessment. My employer didn't like this, so asked for a release from my doctor for light duty and he did release that. My company is a huge company with different shops everywhere and they now have me driving 55 miles to the home office being a secretary, where I only drove 40 miles to work before. I know that in order to receive my work. comp that I need to compy with this, so I did. BUT, now, they have asked me not to wear a hat while pushing papers for them.....I am a MECHANIC!!! Can they do this? What if they start asking that I dress in suits or dress clothes?

Please help!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

suppermom57 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am a mechanic and hurt my shoulder while on the job. I am on workman's compensation and have undergone surgery and now am going thru physical therapy. My doctor had me as total disabled up until physical therapy is done in January and they do an assessment. My employer didn't like this, so asked for a release from my doctor for light duty and he did release that. My company is a huge company with different shops everywhere and they now have me driving 55 miles to the home office being a secretary, where I only drove 40 miles to work before. I know that in order to receive my work. comp that I need to compy with this, so I did. BUT, now, they have asked me not to wear a hat while pushing papers for them.....I am a MECHANIC!!! Can they do this? What if they start asking that I dress in suits or dress clothes?

Please help!!

My response:

Oh, my God!!

How horrible of your company to have accomodated your physical illness under the Federal ADA, and to help you keep your job. How thoughtless of them!

You know what? If they want you to wear a clown suit, and stand on the sidewalk holding a sign, they can. Are you really that much of a dufus that you can't understand that they want you to look presentable to their customers? Hell, I would just fire you.

Now, go scrub your hands, and then clean your brain out too. Those grease stains are clouding your judgment.

IAAL

I AM glad that my company has accomodated me!! And where do you get off calling me a dufus?? I understand they would like me to look presentable to their customers, but like I said I AM a mechanic...and where am I going to afford to buy these nice clothes that they want me to wear? Am I suppose to change my whole wardrobe for them?
I did say that I am complying with what they have asked for, I was only asking other opinions!!!

H

hexeliebe

but like I said I AM a mechanic...
O.K. My opinion. You are wrong. While you are on limited duty you are not a mechanic. And even while you are not on limited duty, you are not a mechanic.

You are, were and always will be an employee. And outside the Protected classes of Federal Labor laws, the employer can request of you anything they wish.

And you have the right to tell them no. Of course, hold out your hand when you say that because your last check will be forthcoming.

So, what you are saying is when I applied for my job and read what my job description and what they expected of me was a crock? That really when they hire me for one position in a job, they are really hiring me for anything that they want me to do?

Beth3

suppermom, your employer did not make your doctor release you for light duty. In the State of Wisconsin, you can see any qualified physician of your choice to treat for a WC injury, so this was YOUR doctor. What your employer undoubtedly did was contact the doctor and explain that light duty work was available and ask the doctor what your restrictions were. The employer then identified a position you could perform within those restrictions. This is very standard stuff for any employer who is managing their worker's compensation claims well.

I'm not exactly clear what your concern is - that they MIGHT ask you to dress up while on this light duty job? All they've apparently asked is for you not to wear a hat in the office. It was probably to your benefit that they did so, hats not being customary attire when performing clerical work in an office setting. The other employees would undoubtedly assume you're an odd duck if you're sitting there pushing papers and wearing a hat.

Asking you not to wear a hat is a far cry from asking you to go to Nordstrom's and invest thousands of dollars in a new wardrobe. I think you're considerably jumping the gun here.

"So, what you are saying is when I applied for my job and read what my job description and what they expected of me was a crock?" Nobody is saying that and if not for your injury and current restricted duty, you would undoubtely be performing your regular job. You do NOT have the option to sit home and be paid by the WC carrier if your employer has work that you can perform within your restrictions.

"That really when they hire me for one position in a job, they are really hiring me for anything that they want me to do?" An employer may require you to do anything they request except something that is illegal or unsafe.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

First, it's called "Nordstrom"; e.g., " . . . asking you to go to 'Nordstrom' and invest thousands of dollars in a new wardrobe."

Second, Nordstrom is a "walk in the park". I swear, I think Mrs. Liable spends half of her time (and our money) on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Try THAT sometime!

"Gee, dear, what did you buy today?"

"Oh, not much, just a nice cashmere sweater."

"Really? How much was that?"

"A little over $700.00".

CRAAAAAAAPPPP!

IAAL

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The nearest Nordstrom to me is in Providence, RI, about an hour's drive away. Am I missing something by shopping in Boston?

Beth3

Rodeo Drive is a bit of a commute for some of us, IAAL.

Yes, cbg, you're missing something by not having ever ventured in to Nordstrom. I don't much care for shopping but this is an entirely different experience. "Pardon me, Ms. Sales Person, but I don't feel like carrying my purchases. Would you be so kind as to take these bags to the valet?" "Why yes, I'd be delighted and may I also select some items for you to try on that I think would look fabulous on you?" "Yes, that would be lovely. I'll wait for you in the dressing room."

To my great dismay (aaargh), there are none in my State but I have made the trip to Minneapolis and the Chicago area more than once just to go to Nordstrom. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">