• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing my plea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? New Jersey

At the preliminary hearing where you can plea "guilty" or "not guilty", I pleaded "not guilty" hoping that a lawyer could help my case. After talking to a lawyer, I found out that he can't really do anything for me. Since this is my first offense, I can take a year of probation.

When i go to court again, I'm wondering if I can just change my plea to "guilty" and be done with this - take the year of probation and move on?

Is it possible to change my plea without going back to court?



Senior Member
You can change your plea to guilty, but not without going back to court. Before you plead guilty, the judge has to inform you that you have constitutional rights to a jury trial, to confront witnesses, and not to incriminate yourself, and then you have to say you understand and waive those rights.


Just tell the judge you didn't inhale, then ask him for a change of venue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential