• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing sole to joint custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I have searched on different sites trying to find out how to do this and what would be involved but havent had much luck. Anyways, I have sole physical and legal custody of our daughter and I would like to know what I would need to do to give her father joint custody. I have already discussed this with him and told him I would try to find out how to go about this. Will we have to have attorneys do this for us and would we have to appear in court for this or is there a way to do this ourselves and have a judge sign off on it? I already talk things over with him and let him know whats going on etc but would like everything legalized. Also, our child is having difficulties this school year and we have discussed her possibly living with him the next school year to see if things improve (we want whats best for her). Is this possible to do without going to court to have custody switched at this time since our order states I have sole custody? We want to try it on a trial basis and if she does better being with him then I have no problem with him having primary custody but neither one of us has the money for any drawn out process. We discussed this like I said before and I told him we could go to court so that we can get his support stopped and support ordered from me but he doesnt want to do that, he says its his responsibility to support her and I could just send him back half of the support he pays every week but that isnt fair to him at all. I checked sites for my state and county but couldnt find anything pertaining to this for the CP to do just what a NCP needs to do to get joint custody but he isnt wanting to file anything against me, we just want to see what steps we can take that wont be expensive or drawn out. Thank you for any help you can give us.

Zephyr

a stipulated agreement?......and yes you should both have your respectives attorneys advise on the points of the document

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">