• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Visitation, Custody and Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squash213

What is the name of your state? Maine

The mother of my 7 year old has recently just filed papers to get set visitation, that is her main objective. She's wants me to see my daughter more, and she's under the presumption that set visitation will force me to see her more. I have explained to her that I don't have much time at all because I work 50-60 hours a week plus an hour and a half commute time everyday. I see my daughter usually a few days out of the month. I work so much because I cannot afford to pay the court ordered child support otherwise.

We have agreed that she will agree to a set child support amount that is less in order for me to see my daughter. Currently I pay almost $500 a month when I make only $1200 a month before taxes. She said when I decide on an amount to let her know. I feel that $250 a month is a fair amount. That would allow me to be able to pay my bills while still contributing. She also has agreed to give me back partial custody, she was awarded sole custody 3 years ago.

The problem is she did not note in the court motion that she wanted to give me partial custody back. I remember back when she was trying to get sole custody that it was specifically stated so in the motion. When visitation is set am I under perjury if I am unable to keep my daughter for the entire speficified time? She is stating 6pm on Friday to 6pm on Sunday every other weekend. I feel that is fair but what if something arises? I do not have a set work schedule and not having open availablity will lead to me working less, which means less money.

She also states in the order that we are to work out a new child support amount. It says "not to exceed $110 a week." This she has filed before we decided on any amount or really even talked about. That is what it is currently set at. Is that standard procedure? Should I be worried that she is trying to just screw me over in our new support and custody "agreement." Will a judge/mediator even allow us to set up our own support amount?

I realise I need a lawyer but with little to no money that really isn't an option for me though I may have time to try and find a volunteer lawyer as I don't have any court dates yet. Would it be possible for us to do this through DHS, this is who the child support is currently enforced.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">