• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chap 13 payment higher income decreased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bcollins50

I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy in January 2018. As of today May 12th my bankruptcy was confirmed but my payment has gone up. There was an issue with my mortgage company as even though I filed in January they continued to charge me late fees so my original debt to them is $2,000 higher than it was in January but since January my paychecks have shrunk $200 a paycheck.
my original bankruptcy payment was 894 a month but now it is 1002 a month. Problem is I am being medically discharged from military thus year so my paychecks will continue to decrease. I was able to make 894 a month, how am I expected to pay the 1002 a month? Need advice, I have a lawyer but hes not great at returning my calls

doucar

The first question, is why is the payment 1002 per month. Is it because of the secured debt? because you wanted to finish your plan in less than 60 months?
Ultimately, if a chapter 13 doesn't work for you, and your income continues to drop, you may be faced with converting to a chapter 7 and loosing some of your secured property (if that is a reason your payment is so high).

Bcollins50

no 60 months is the plan. The payment is higher I was told because I owe more the the 2400 back mortgage payments and late fees than when I filed in jan. I filed in jan and I was behind approx 2400. But cone mid april wells Fargo countered with saying I owed almost 4 because of late fees and payments due since jan, mind ypu I've been paying trustee since Feb

doucar

If you cannot make the payments, you will have no choice but to dismiss or the trustee will dismiss your chapter 13 and I suspect Wells Fargo will begin foreclosure proceedings. Sorry I don't have better news.

Bcollins50

I can make the 1002 payment it just leaves me with 60 dollars after everything is paid. But lord help me if I have to pay 30 Co pay to doctors. My lawyer says that they are going to ask for an ammendment as I'm in the middle of va deciding my disability rating. And the military deciding whether to med retire or just retire me. It is frustrating I'd almost rather give up the house and pay rent on a 1 bedroom apartment.

LdiJ

I can make the 1002 payment it just leaves me with 60 dollars after everything is paid. But lord help me if I have to pay 30 Co pay to doctors. My lawyer says that they are going to ask for an ammendment as I'm in the middle of va deciding my disability rating. And the military deciding whether to med retire or just retire me. It is frustrating I'd almost rather give up the house and pay rent on a 1 bedroom apartment.
Have you seriously explored selling the house? Perhaps in a short sale?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">