• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 11 and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?CA

Ex Husband that owes Child Support.Works for a Comapny that Filed Chapter 11 in October 2004. Stopped getting support payments because they stated that he had been terminated. He has never stopped working there. He claims he is working for "free".

Company will not return an of the Child Support Services phone calls. They started all the paper work for Contempt on both parties. Knowing that he does still work there.
They put the brakes on it yesterday stating that the company is protected under the Bankruptcy. They also stated that they are not sure if he is getting paid or not. They said that he can continue working , company car health Insurance still being paid for the kids by the company ,if his wages are frozen. If so, how long can wages be frozen. and if they did would this be filed in court on there PLAN? Last of all what if they lie and he is being paid is there anywhere in the paperwork that is public to find out?


Senior Member
No matter what is going on with the company it doesn't change his resposnibility to pay what is court ordered. File contempt on him. If he tells the judge he can't pay because he is working for free, he will be laughed at. If you post this on the child support board, you will get a lot more advice and help. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential