• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy/Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lexemom

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm am sorry if I'm rambling, I'll try to be direct and to the point. My husband and I have been together for almost 9 years, married for over 6 years. We have one child together, a 7 year old daughter.

Severe problems in our marriage began in April of 2002 when he lost his job. He wasn't able to find another job until September of 2004. We fought a lot, lots of stress/anxiety. He also started to develop severe memory problems in june of 2004 which was originally diagnosed as depression/stress/anxiety.

They started him on counseling (individual) and started trying medication. Zoloft first, didn't seem to do much. Then wellbutrin, didn't do much. Months pass, he isn't getting much better. then they switch his meds to libotutrin (spelling?)-which is horrid and made him into a psychotic beast. violent mood swings, horrible temper, just not himself. so we tell the pychiatrist and she tells us that he needs to stay on it longer (this is after 3 weeks of this) to get "used" to the medication. well, this is when he cheated on me. picked up some girl at a bar, got himself smashed out of his mind on top of his meds, etc. well, we get him off the drugs and go into joint counseling.

joint counseling seems to be going well. the psychiatrist still is more concerned with his personality than his memory loss (which is still so severe, he reminds me of a 100 year old man). he takes a huge test in two parts which tests memory/personality. the counselor tells him that he is all wrong and needs to learn to conform. he can't cope with the world around him and that's what causing all of these problems.

at the same time, we are filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy to get all of our finances in order since we both finally have good paying jobs. it takes forever for us to get all of the paperwork in order and get it filed (it was filed on march 29, 2005).

my husband starts having huge mood swings again and goes to see our family doctor who thinks that maybe he should have some medical testing done (none was ever done-no mri's, no ct scans, no bloodwork) and is going to send him to a neurosurgeon). on april 26, 2005, he decides he isn't happy with his family anymore and moves out to live with his parents. he is still going to go through with our bankruptcy he says (the creditor meeting isn't until may 24, 2005)-so he's planning to live with his parents for the next 5 years. but he thinks that he might want to file a disssolution right away or sooner-i am wondering if his medical condition might play a part in this and if I should try to delay this for a while. I love my husband and am willing to try to work things out.

Does anyone having any suggestions on the legalities of a chapter 13 bankruptcy and separation? We did it to save our house and I would want to keep it, but couldn't afford it on my own without a roommate. any advice would be greatly appreciated in this time of confusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">