• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 13 & child support????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoNBoo

What is the name of your st ate?Ga My husband and I are filing for chapter 13, and under 13, we repay the debt. We still owe about $900 (not quite, but close) in arrears. We live in GA, she and THEIR daughter live in FL, and our lawyer said that we could put that under 13, and repay through our trustee. My question is....WOULD my husband's ex wife be able to take us BACK to court for MORE child support (if laws apply, as far as the new laws regarding increasing child support by both parents working, etc) while we are under chapter 13 for 4 years? Please only serious replies!!! Very important, this has been bothering us and we forgot to ask our lawyer? Thank You

Last edited:

bigun

Is it possible to file a Chapter 7?
CS is a priotity payment. She could sue for increased support and if she won, you could petition the court to modify your Chapter 13 plan. In other words, lower repayment to your unsecured creditors.

BoNBoo

If we file chapter 7, we may risk the loss of our house and/or vehicle??? She is getting payroll deducted checks every week, I didn't know what she could do while being under chapter 13 for 4 years though???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">