• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 13: Will buying a car after filing but before approval cause problems?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpg90

What is the name of your state? PA

Hello,

I've been sued by a credit card company. I've submitted an answer, and also been thinking and preparing for a likely filing of Chapter 13. The date of my arbitration meeting with the creditor is in a couple of weeks (around August 10). I was advised to file before then.

At the same time, my car broke down and we've been saving up to get another used vehicle. I've not been able to make a purchase yet. We've saved about $5k for this car. I don't know if I'll have time to find and get a good deal on a car by the time I file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy protection.

Question:
  • Will I encounter problems with the court's approval of my Chapter 13 filing if they see that $5k that was in a bank account when I filed, was later used to buy a car (which I need to get to the office)?

Thanks,
JPG.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? PA

Hello,

I've been sued by a credit card company. I've submitted an answer, and also been thinking and preparing for a likely filing of Chapter 13. The date of my arbitration meeting with the creditor is in a couple of weeks (around August 10). I was advised to file before then.

At the same time, my car broke down and we've been saving up to get another used vehicle. I've not been able to make a purchase yet. We've saved about $5k for this car. I don't know if I'll have time to find and get a good deal on a car by the time I file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy protection.

Question:
  • Will I encounter problems with the court's approval of my Chapter 13 filing if they see that $5k that was in a bank account when I filed, was later used to buy a car (which I need to get to the office)?

Thanks,
JPG.
If that is going to be the only car that you will own, no, it won't be a problem. You are allowed to have transportation to work.

Now if you had 50k in the bank and used it to buy a big shiny Cadillac, THAT would be an entirely different story.

jpg90

Thank you for your quick reply. It is not the only car we have. We have another car, but my wife uses it to go to work 2 or 3 days a week, as well as for other things.
Would that make a difference? I cannot remember off the top of my head if that other car is in my name or her name.

I'm also not yet sure if both my wife and I will file for Chapter 13, or if it will be just me.

What do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">