• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 7 Student Loans as Buisness Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slbank7

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have 200K in student loans. I have 55K in credit card debt.
Am I eligble for Chapter 7 buisness debt exception? I make 100K and receive 3000 in child support monthly. I pay 2500 of this child support directly to childcare. I have 10K in legal fees from family lawyer (not court ordered to other party) that I hope to discharge? I have an overpayment (i owe obligor) of 15000 in support overpayment. I own no home. I own no car. My rent is 2500/month (all utilities included).

I have 16000 I am jointly on in a credit card with a parent that I know will not be able to be discharged as they are finacially stable.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have 200K in student loans. I have 55K in credit card debt.
Am I eligble for Chapter 7 buisness debt exception? I make 100K and receive 3000 in child support monthly. I pay 2500 of this child support directly to childcare. I have 10K in legal fees from family lawyer (not court ordered to other party) that I hope to discharge? I have an overpayment (i owe obligor) of 15000 in support overpayment. I own no home. I own no car. My rent is 2500/month (all utilities included).

I have 16000 I am jointly on in a credit card with a parent that I know will not be able to be discharged as they are finacially stable.
I am not entirely sure that I know what you mean by "business debt exception" but is that 100k your gross business income or your net profit?

slbank7

I am salary W2 earner.

If the majority debt is "not consumer" then you do not need to do the means test for chapter 7? Are student loans consider non consumer?

HRZ

I don't think Federally insured student loans can be discharged in bankruptcy ...absent some extreme hardship issues ...which I doubt apply as you appear capable of earning a rather decent income . .... .

slbank7

Im not trying to discharge my student loans. I would like to discharge my consumer debt: credit card and legal bill. I would like to File Chapter 7 with the buisness debt exceptions to the means test. Where if buisness debt is greater than consumer debt you do not need to do a means test. Im questioning if student loans can count as buisness debt.

LdiJ

Im not trying to discharge my student loans. I would like to discharge my consumer debt: credit card and legal bill. I would like to File Chapter 7 with the buisness debt exceptions to the means test. Where if buisness debt is greater than consumer debt you do not need to do a means test. Im questioning if student loans can count as buisness debt.
No, they do not count as business debt.

Just Blue

Unbelievable.

HRZ

Apparently some courts vary as to if student loans are consumer debt or non consumer debt

Google:

In re Ferreira, 549 B.R. 232 (Bankr. E.D. Cal., 2016)

for an analysis of the issue you raise.

I do not think the 3rd Circuit has ruled on this so you need to find out if there is case law in your State on the issue and/or how the Office of the US Trustee in Pennsylvania deals with it. If there is no definitive answer you need to decide if you want to be the "test case" should the issue arise.

In my State the UST deems the loans "non-consumer" at least to the portion one can prove was NOT used for living expenses.

Des.

If you have more business debt than consumer debt, you won't need to meet income requirements before getting qualifying debt wiped out in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">