• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Character misrepresentation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nneedofadvice

I applied for a life insurance policy and was denied. The reason was the letter a doctor I had been seeing wrote. I saw a psychologist for about 5 months for depression and OCD. Neither of which I have ever taken medication for nor have they affected my ability to have a successful career and very stable family.
In any case, I requested a copy of the APS that had been sent to the underwriters and was very alarmed that the letter was two pages of very subjective explanation of my condition. My wife and I looked through it and there were 11 innacurate and misleading descriptions and 2 very false claims. I am not concerned as much about being denied the life insurance and I am about fixing the image this doctor portrayed in this letter.

N

Nneedofadvice

character misrepresentation

Yes, I do have a question. I had a brief consultation with an attorney who said I did not have a case.
I am wanting another opinion. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Is there anything worth pursuing? Or is it that I just got my feelings hurt and have to get over it? What should I do next?

N

Nneedofadvice

Thank you for the original response. I have never used this board before. It is my first time and I was not sure how much to share on the board in order to get a response to the above questions. However, if you have any input, I would be very thankful.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not an attorney but I've worked with for and with the insurance business all my life, and I don't see any reason to disagree with the attorney you saw. The criteria for issuing a policy is subjective to a certain degree so I can't see that you have a case against the insurance company. Whether you have a case against the doctor is impossible to say without knowing precisely what was said, but unless what he said was outright lies (as opposed to having a differing opinion from you) it is unlikely.

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi Needavice: The terms used by docs to describe your conditions can be alarming to the patient if the patient ever reads the report. "Subjective" findings (if it's headed that way in the report) would be the description of symptoms you had given the doc. "Objective" findings would be the doc's findings. If you are concerned about the image this doc portrayed in his report, (and if you are still under his care and have a FU appointment), ask him to explain it. These disorders can be used to deny life insurance because the risk of suicide attempt comes with them. Hope this helped you some.

hmmbrdzz

Nneedofadvice said:
I applied for a life insurance policy and was denied. The reason was the letter a doctor I had been seeing wrote. I saw a psychologist for about 5 months for depression and OCD. Neither of which I have ever taken medication for nor have they affected my ability to have a successful career and very stable family.
In any case, I requested a copy of the APS that had been sent to the underwriters and was very alarmed that the letter was two pages of very subjective explanation of my condition. My wife and I looked through it and there were 11 innacurate and misleading descriptions and 2 very false claims. I am not concerned as much about being denied the life insurance and I am about fixing the image this doctor portrayed in this letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">