• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Character name vs Disney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello, l am an author and at the moment l am working on a Snow White retelling.
I am well aware of the strict laws by Disney in terms of copyrighted plots and characters, but l am not sure about names.
My evil queen's name is currently Grimilde, italian version of the name Grimhilde chosen by Disney.
Now, my question is: is a small change in the spelling enough to not break the copyright or is it better l change the name into something totally different?

Thanks to everyone helping.

Mass_Shyster

The jurisdiction that you are in is important, however I would avoid getting involved with Disney's lawyers at all cost. I would not use a name that may attract their attention.

The jurisdiction that you are in is important, however I would avoid getting involved with Disney's lawyers at all cost. I would not use a name that may attract their attention.
That's exactly why l am wondering if minor changes are alright, l have already considered changing it. Since it's a Snow White retelling l am writing, l am using the Snow White name which belongs to a folktale, but Grimhilde belongs to Disney so l had my concerns

Mass_Shyster

Nobody can say for sure if Disney will sue you. Even if they sue and lose, you’ll be out thousands or tens of thousands.

STEPHAN

You have Disney and their lawyers as a possible opponent and want to protect yourself by asking an internet forum?

Nobody can say for sure if Disney will sue you. Even if they sue and lose, you’ll be out thousands or tens of thousands.
Oh l know, that's why l am glad l got the doubt before it was too late.
The name Snow White is used in other retellings, but not the evil queen's.
Definitely changing it.

FlyingRon

The Evil Queen is the old German and Brothers Grimm versions. So are the Seven Dwarves. Note however the Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Dopey, and Doc names were created by Disney. Earlier they were usually unnamed, though an 1912 play used Blick, Flick, Glick, Plick, Quee, and Snick, I suggest you use a pre-Disney reference so you don't inadvertently infringe on the Disney-created stereotypes of that story.

The Evil Queen is the old German and Brothers Grimm versions. So are the Seven Dwarves. Note however the Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Dopey, and Doc names were created by Disney. Earlier they were usually unnamed, though an 1912 play used Blick, Flick, Glick, Plick, Quee, and Snick, I suggest you use a pre-Disney reference so you don't inadvertently infringe on the Disney-created stereotypes of that story.
Thank you for the nice reference! I was wondering about the name of the queen because l know Disney owns the name Grimilde.
As per Snow White l am kinda sure it's not infranging anything because the name has been created by the Grimms

quincy

Where are you located?

Take your inspiration from the original folktales only and forget all you know about the Disney versions of Snow White (which can be hard :)) and you will avoid the legal headaches that generally come when infringing on anything Disney.

If you go to a large bookstore (e.g., Barnes & Noble), you will see several retellings of old folktales. The character images and names and the tales are all different from the Disney images and tales.

Where are you located?

Take your inspiration from the original folktales only and forget all you know about the Disney versions of Snow White (which can be hard :)) and you will avoid the legal headaches that generally come when infringing on anything Disney.

If you go to a large bookstore (e.g., Barnes & Noble), you will see several retellings of old folktales. The character images and names and the tales are all different from the Disney images and tales.
I am located in the United Kingdom! And yes l have been inspired only by the original folklore tales rather than Disney versions! I was curious only about the names vs the Disney ones. Unfortunately as per the description, Snow White is portrayed as she is since forever and that's her name given by the Grimms, l changed the plot but still Disney scares me for the name and description haha

quincy

I am located in the United Kingdom! And yes l have been inspired only by the original folklore tales rather than Disney versions! I was curious only about the names vs the Disney ones. Unfortunately as per the description, Snow White is portrayed as she is since forever and that's her name given by the Grimms, l changed the plot but still Disney scares me for the name and description haha
Disney versions of folktales have become our collective versions of these tales. It is hard to imagine some of the characters different from how Disney has portrayed them.

In the Grimm version, both the original queen and the stepmother queen are called "Queen." Snow White gets her name from the original Queen, who pricks her finger and her blood drops fall on snow. She wishes for a daughter "as white as snow, as red as blood, and as black as the wood of the embroidery frame." She then has a daughter with skin as white as snow, lips as red as blood and hair as black as ebony, and the Queen names her Snow White.

The original Queen then dies and the evil stepmother Queen enters the story.

From the descriptions in the tale, Disney fashioned his Snow White and the other characters.

Disney versions of folktales have become our collective versions of these tales. It is hard to imagine some of the characters different from how Disney has portrayed them.

In the Grimm version, both the original queen and the stepmother queen are called "Queen." Snow White gets her name from the original Queen, who pricks her finger and her blood drops fall on snow. She wishes for a daughter "as white as snow, as red as blood, and as black as the wood of the embroidery frame." She then has a daughter with skin as white as snow, lips as red as blood and hair as black as ebony, and the Queen names her Snow White.

The original Queen then dies and the evil stepmother Queen enters the story.

From the descriptions in the tale, Disney fashioned his Snow White and the other characters.
I know well the original story :) I made up all the names of the names of the queen, the king, prince, now of the evil queen since Disney owns the one they chose, l just don't want to give up the name Snow White (who also is very different from how disney portrayed her: long hair, blue eyes, different style of dressing)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">