• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charge off to bad debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shalanedmc

What is the name of your state? GA
Is there a minimum amount of time that a creditor must wait before sending a debt to collections?

My outstanding debt to AT&T Wireless was about $400 and I was definitely 30 days late (Nov. 2000) with no payment at all (I was unemployed) Then I began paying $50 a month in Dec. 2000 and then $50 again in January 2001. I called them numerous times to make it a formal payment arrangement and they said they wouldn't accept payments. Service had been shut-down in November and no further charges were accruing. In February I received the collection notice and paid the balance in full by credit card. It says I was 60 days late on my credit report. I put a statement on the credit report that says "consumer says account slow due to employment issues". But, it's still categorized as a #9 (charged off to bad debt) which is the worst thing according to my research.

Is there anything I can do to remove the #9 rating?

bigun

A creditor can send an acount to collections anytime it goes into default.
You'll need to get involved with credit repair. www.creditboards.com is a good site. Read the FAQ's and the "stickies" and see if it's something you want to attempt.

crusheroz

Good luck with getting it removed off your credit report. We are fighting them on the same issue. I thought you had to be behind 6 months before they would do a charge off. But AT&T does it different for some reason.

S

shalanedmc

reply to crusheroz

What I'm thinking might have happened is that AT&T was reconciling their books at the end of the year and decided to write it off for tax purposes.

What makes you think that creditors usually wait 6 months before sending to collections?

What was your situation? How have you been handling it?

Also, I had been making payments after 30 days late. It wasn't like they weren't getting any money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">