• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chargeback fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently separated from my fiancé and took my money out of our joint account making the balance in the account $0. The same day my ex started disputing charges to get the provisional credits and transferred that credit to his other account. I have notified the bank but I'm curious what my options are for filing charges.

quincy

What is the name of your state?

Joint accounts belong to either and both of the account holders. Either can remove funds.

What is the name of your state?

Joint accounts belong to either and both of the account holders. Either can remove funds.

But what he is doing is illegal.... purposefully disputing charges to get the provisional credit and transferring that credit while the charge is disputed. I’m in Ohio.

There’s about 20 different charges he has disputed over the last couple days- gas, food, bills etc. to get over $500 in provisional credits and then transferred that money to his private account

Just Blue

There’s about 20 different charges he has disputed over the last couple days- gas, food, bills etc. to get over $500 in provisional credits and then transferred that money to his private account
When you empied the checking acct was any of that money from his deposits?

quincy

Thanks for answering my questions. I've had several. :)

Here is one more: Why do you believe your ex is committing fraud with the provisional credit? It is just a temporary credit. I assume both of you have set up new accounts in your own names now, right?

I’ve researched it and spoke with the bank.... purposefully disputing charges for the purpose of getting provisional credits is called chargeback fraud. The only reasons he is using the chargeback disputes is to get cash and transfer that cash to another account.

Chargeback fraud refers to an individual who legitimately purchases goods or services with their own credit card. Then later disputes the charges through his or her financial institution as a way to be refunded the amount charged. After receiving the dispute, the cardholder’s bank immediately issues a refund from the merchant by deducting them from the merchant’s next credit card settlement including any applicable [fees].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">