• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged in TWO states???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah87

Hi, I moved to Buffalo a little over a year ago from Delaware and have ran into child support issues. I currently pay child support for one child to the stat of PA. Since moving to Buffalo I've been issued to pay Buffalo as well as PA. I thought there was some sort of mix up and waited for it to sort itself out (Which was stupid on my part). Shortly after, contacted PA and was directed to someone who never got back to me. Every time I attempt to call someone they never return my call and now I've been issued a warrant by Buffalo.

Is it possible to be charged by TWO states for the same child? Or has there been some mix up that I can easily take care of?

justalayman

Or has there been some mix up that I can easily take care of?
well, I would guess paying your child support would take care of the issue but apparently that was not high on your priority list, at least until a warrant was issued for your arrest.

Hi, I moved to Buffalo a little over a year ago from Delaware and have ran into child support issues. I currently pay child support for one child to the stat of PA. Since moving to Buffalo I've been issued to pay Buffalo as well as PA. I thought there was some sort of mix up and waited for it to sort itself out (Which was stupid on my part). Shortly after, contacted PA and was directed to someone who never got back to me. Every time I attempt to call someone they never return my call and now I've been issued a warrant by Buffalo.
is the pay to buffalo for the same child?

are you still required to pay PA (not counting arrears)?

do you have arrears in PA?

where does the child live?

Sarah87

well, I would guess paying your child support would take care of the issue but apparently that was not high on your priority list, at least until a warrant was issued for your arrest.

is the pay to buffalo for the same child?

are you still required to pay PA (not counting arrears)?

do you have arrears in PA?

where does the child live?

I've been avidly paying my child support AND arrears to PA and haven't had a single issue until moving to Buffalo. Yes, they want me to pay for the same child in Buffalo and the child lives in PA. The lady I managed to get a hold of in PA was just as confused as I was and maybe she played it off as such but she said "that's not right", when I explained the situation then transferred me to someone who could help me better that unfortunately wasn't in her office and never got back to me. I keep calling and nobody is answering or returning my calls.

BL

http://www.worldlawdirect.com/article/734/child-support-enforcement-interstate-matters.html

Pay your owed child support to PA.

Then go to the buffalo CS agency and give them information in the link and show proofs of payments that are current.

If you end up in court show the proof and bring up the interstate Act.

justalayman

something happened that caused New York (that Buffalo, right?) to have to enforce the child support order from PA. Any idea what that would be?

what it sounds like is NY is enforcing the order from PA. To do so somebody would have had to have reason to bring it to the NY courts.

you wouldn't be required to pay both NY and PA. I suspect proof of payment to PA would resolve your problem but I would figure out, quickly, if you should be paying PA or NY/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">