• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged off debt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Indiana.

I have an old Credit account that was reaffirmed after a bankruptcy in 1995. A few months after the Bankruptcy I was contacted that there was a class action suite against the loan issuer regarding inproperly handled re-affirmations. I was advised to stop making payments pending the outcome as the debt may be negated. I did stop paying and contacted the issuer and explained the situation. In the end My account was not involved in the settlement and I was advised to start payments again. I contacted thr creditor and requested that they start sending regular billings again. 3 months passed and I received no bills. I cantacted them again. At this time the person I spoke with told me that the " The debt had been charged off, and I did not need to worry about it any more" I asked what this meant and was told that the company had written off the debt.

Now some 5 years later and never hearing from them again. I am trying to buy a home, and I learn that charged off does not mean I don't have to worry about it.:mad: It means now I have a big ugly black mark on my otherwise clean credit.

Do I have any legal recourse to get this fixed since The creditor did give me bad information and did fail to send me bills as I requested??

Sorry for the long message but as you can see it is a long story.:mad: Any suggestions are appreciated


Senior Member
Derogatory info like chargeoffs fall off the reports at 7 years. If the last payment was 1995, dispute the listing as obsolete.


Thanks for your reply,

Sorry I incorrectly stated that it was a few months after the Bankruptcy in my original post. this actually all transpired over a couple of years with the last payment being in June of 97. Is this my only option ? To wait until it goes away??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential