• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged Off & Written Off...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

Spoke w/ paralegal re: my possibility of filing CH7. (no assets) Been, long term, unable to find employment.

After getting my credit report (@ their urging) I noticed the largest usecured debt I had was listed under STATUS as being, "Account Charged Off. $43,500 Written Off".

What exactly does this mean? BTW: this creditor I SENT a C&D letter to.

Also noticed that this creditor did check & has pending (until 3/2007) a check for any mortgages. (as I have no Paycheck to Garnish) Is this to see if I aquire any property they could attach a lein?

Thank you for answers & any input. ( & sorry if this was a lame-o question)

Last edited:

bigun

Chargeoff is an accounting term meaning shareholders and regulators have been informed that the debt is likely uncollectable.

Tiwahe

Don't they also get a tax break?

bigun said:
Chargeoff is an accounting term meaning shareholders and regulators have been informed that the debt is likely uncollectable.

Just a couple of gotcha that might go along with this...

1. You may be getting a 1099c for this amount...on which you'll have to pay income tax, unless you can show you were insolvent and / or filed BK on this debt.

2. If the entry gets changed to "charged off / sold to another lender", that means the OC has sold it for pennies on the dollar to junk debt buyer who might continue to hassle you for the money...

The addition of: "written off" does this term mean the same thing?

Thanks for responses.

Though I did/do intend to pay this debt, got behind on repayment & tried to neg. options but the OC demanded the note be paid in full... impossible right now unfortunately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">