• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged With Possession of Friend's Hash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

accused0011

A 'friend' and I were walking on the sidewalk, late at night. A police officer pulled up and asked us where we were going, etc. At several points I asked the officer if I was under arrest or if I was free to go, and I was told 'not to move.' The person I was walking with consented to a search of his person and belongings, which turned up marijuana hash, and a smoking device. I was arrested along with him, and charged with possession of paraphrenalia. The police report says that I admitted to 'owning' the smoking device (which I never did). Even though I never had anything on me (everything was on his person), does the possession charge have merit? They have the police report which has me admitting to owning it while on the street (which is silly--I refused to speak to the police) and quite possibly the other person's statement (I have no doubt he would lie to get himself out of trouble)--does their charge have enough merit for me to plead to it, or should I fight it?

L

LadyLiberty

Of course you should fight it, if you are innocent. Even if they say that you said the pipe was yours, the fact remains that it was found in your friends possession, not yours. The prosecutors love to intimidate people into taking their plea bargains because it saves them the cost of a trial. The intimidation works way too often, especially with people who are unfamiliar with the legal system, and many innocent people have been coerced into pleading guilty to an offer of a reduced charge or sentence because they are afraid that if they fight it and lose, they will end up much worse off. Trust me, been there--done that.

------------------
Legalize Freedom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">