• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with racing + 112 in 65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrutter81

Georgia is the state im from.

I have been charged with the following:
Speeding: 112 in a 65 (guestimated by the officer's camera)
Racing (Mustang was beside me)

No laser or radar was used. The officer just replayed the video in the car a few times before writing out the ticket. I know for a fact I wasnt going above 100 mph let alone 112. Just curious what is the best course of action and what my options are? Is there a possibility of being thrown out since it was just observed by the officer on camera?

It was on the interstate 85 northbound, most cars going 75-85 mph on average as is usual for this hiway.

Im 27 years old
one ticket going 87 in a 75 in july heading toward my florida vacation.
driver record is clean besides that.

many thanks
-Russ

Have you considered that your speed could be calculated based on how fast your car passed between a start and end point in the footage?

rrutter81

Have you considered that your speed could be calculated based on how fast your car passed between a start and end point in the footage?
The officer was judging it off his mph to catch up. It is still inaccurate how he judged it since i looked at my speedometer before pulling over.

Yea that is in the works. Just curious what you guys thought.
I think you were going fast enough that you warrant both charges, irrespective of what you claim.

You know how you get really, really good at something if you do it day in and day out for years and years? It's kinda funny... police officers are the same way. I do not see any possible way you could successfully argue you were going 75 if the officer testifies you were going 112.

Your best bet might be to claim that a space-time vortex was between you and the cop that distorted his field of vision.

rrutter81

I think you were going fast enough that you warrant both charges, irrespective of what you claim.

You know how you get really, really good at something if you do it day in and day out for years and years? It's kinda funny... police officers are the same way. I do not see any possible way you could successfully argue you were going 75 if the officer testifies you were going 112.

Your best bet might be to claim that a space-time vortex was between you and the cop that distorted his field of vision.
sounds like you wouldnt be my lawyer. Thx for the info tho. I wasnt claiming 75 but it was well under 112, and the initial 120 he wanted to give.

My car is governed at 99 btw.

seniorjudge

sounds like you wouldnt be my lawyer. Thx for the info tho. I wasnt claiming 75 but it was well under 112, and the initial 120 he wanted to give.
There are a lot of prosecutors who would not want to plea bargain with you, based SOLELY on the facts as you give them.

However, getting a lawyer might help you get a more favorable decision.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My car is governed at 99 btw.
Fine - tell the judge you are sure you were doing only 99...

FlyingRon

Some police cameras have the police car's speed recorded over the top (along wtih the time other things like whether the lights/siren were going). There's probably plenty of evidence there to hang you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">