• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with retail theft in Pa., 2nd offense, item value $7. Will I have jail time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alleninpa.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa. Has anyone in Pa. had to serve jail time for a second offense, 2nd degree misdemeanor? First time this happened 2 1/2 years ago it was summary offense, $3. item. I paid a fine & that was it. This time I was charged with 2nd degree misdemeanor (I actually went back & paid for the $7. item before I was even arrested, but it was too late I guess) the judge at the pretrial asked the arresting officer and the store detective if I was eligible for ARD probationary program. The officer & detective both said yes so the judge said if I agree to opt out of having legal counsel at the pre trial I could sign up for it. So I signed away my rights to counsel & signed the ARD application.
I was later denied the ARD, reason was because it was 2nd offense (but I thought I had no prior misdemeanor convictions, that the 1st one was only a summary so realy no prior misdemeanor??) So I have to go to trial next week & Im wondering what to expect regarding jail time. I cant seem to find any info whatsoever as to the real possibility of jail & anyone in Pa. who had to serve jail term for similar situation.
I have a family to support, its a real struggle right now with 4 kids & my wife cant work... im the sole supporter & if I go to jail they will not be able to get by ... I have to apply for apply for a public defender but I don't know if that will help. I am very sorry for my bad decision and Im hoping it wont affect my family too badly. Does anyone out there know from experience what I can expect? Thanks for your help!

FlyingRon

A summary offense doesn't preclude ARD, but eligibility is always subject to the discretion of the prosecutor and the court. Despite the waiver of preliminary hearing/arraignment, you're back to square one. They CAN NOT deny you counsel and I recommend you get one. You do know that you have at least two more court appearances even if you plead guilty. You'll be sent for a PSI and when sentenced to probation (if you don't go to jail) you'll go to the PO and likely also have to go be drug tested. You'll also be on a payment plan for your close to $4000 worth of various court costs.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa. Has anyone in Pa. had to serve jail time for a second offense, 2nd degree misdemeanor? First time this happened 2 1/2 years ago it was summary offense, $3. item. I paid a fine & that was it. This time I was charged with 2nd degree misdemeanor (I actually went back & paid for the $7. item before I was even arrested, but it was too late I guess) the judge at the pretrial asked the arresting officer and the store detective if I was eligible for ARD probationary program. The officer & detective both said yes so the judge said if I agree to opt out of having legal counsel at the pre trial I could sign up for it. So I signed away my rights to counsel & signed the ARD application.
I was later denied the ARD, reason was because it was 2nd offense (but I thought I had no prior misdemeanor convictions, that the 1st one was only a summary so realy no prior misdemeanor??) So I have to go to trial next week & Im wondering what to expect regarding jail time. I cant seem to find any info whatsoever as to the real possibility of jail & anyone in Pa. who had to serve jail term for similar situation.
I have a family to support, its a real struggle right now with 4 kids & my wife cant work... im the sole supporter & if I go to jail they will not be able to get by ... I have to apply for apply for a public defender but I don't know if that will help. I am very sorry for my bad decision and Im hoping it wont affect my family too badly. Does anyone out there know from experience what I can expect? Thanks for your help!
You are the sole supporter? Why then did you decide to steal? And for a second time? You act as though you are the victim. You aren't. You are a thief. You say you are sorry for your bad decision but quite frankly I believe you are sorry you got caught. This was not a bad decision -- not your first one. You did this before and didn't learn that time around.

Alleninpa.

Not a victim- Thanks for your input.

You are the sole supporter? Why then did you decide to steal? And for a second time? You act as though you are the victim. You aren't. You are a thief. You say you are sorry for your bad decision but quite frankly I believe you are sorry you got caught. This was not a bad decision -- not your first one. You did this before and didn't learn that time around.
Thanks for your input. Im definitely not a victim & what I did was very wrong & a terrible decision that I must now pay for. There were extenuating circumstances both the 1st time & second however. First time at Walmart, was with my son who just turned 18 & it was actually him who placed an item under/in a jacket in shopping cart. I wasnt aware of this at the time but upon leaving was approached by security & long story short, I took the blame for it- as we were in the process of searching for low cost loans & grants so that he may attend college & I did not want this to be on his record & ruin his chances... 2 1/2 years later, I left store with pain medicine for my wife, having forgot my wallet in car I stupidly left with item in my hand & had full intentions of returning to pay for it, which I did infact do. But while I was outside in car I was approached by police officer on a totally unrelated matter- in our conversation he asked what I was shopping for & I told him, he checked my I.D. then afterward I returned to the store & paid for the item. I assumed everything would be ok but a week later I was contacted again by the officer & fully admitted to what I had done. Just wondering if I will have to serve jail term for this so I can try & plan & lessen any hardship for my family...cannot seem to find answers anywhere or find anyone in Pa. who actually went thru sentencing of Second Offense retail theft...

dave33

At this point you get referred to the public defenders office and apply. That is all you can do. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">