• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charges from Homeowner's Association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

delurgio

What is the name of your state? CA

I own a condo in a nice area that is rented out. The neighbor said that the tenant left his junk mail on the common mailbox causing litter. This neighbor took two days worth of junk mail and mailed it to me. My homeowner's association charged me $15 for handling and postage of this junk mail. Can they do this?

I have asked the tenants to not do this. Also, I am invited to the Monthly Homeowner's Board Meeting to tell them what I am doing about the problem and if I don't show up they said they will charge me $50!!!

HomeGuru

delurgio said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I own a condo in a nice area that is rented out. The neighbor said that the tenant left his junk mail on the common mailbox causing litter. This neighbor took two days worth of junk mail and mailed it to me. My homeowner's association charged me $15 for handling and postage of this junk mail. Can they do this?

**A: yes if the condo docs House Rules etc. allow it.
So you need to do a charge back to the tenant with a warning letter that if he/she violates the House Rules again, you will evict.

I have asked the tenants to not do this. Also, I am invited to the Monthly Homeowner's Board Meeting to tell them what I am doing about the problem and if I don't show up they said they will charge me $50!!!

**A: they cannot force you to attend, but you should.
sounds like the HOA wants you to resolve issues with your problem tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">