• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HMorris

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi. My husband and I were recently in an apartment for 2 years which we left in July. I made it a point to clean thoroughly before leaving. There was water damage on the walls and carpet from a broken sprinkler and we were told not to clean those areas so that maintenance knew where to fix. So those were the only areas not cleaned. They now want to charge us $280 – not in damages, in cleaning. The maintenance guy claims that there was no attempt to clean at all. Which I know is incorrect. I have spoken with the Manager and she continues to argue with me on this, but I feel I am being charged when I shouldn’t be. What do you suggest? Also, she sent me the move out inspection he filled out and basically he wrote the word dirty in the column with a line down. It made me think he was lazy and didn't even look.

C

CaliCat

That's why we always take pictures when we leave a place, don't we?

You have no proof now of things being clean or dirty. Either ask if the LL will let you "clean" (really a chance for you to get pics) or pay. Or tell him you want to see the place, and go snap pics when he lets you in. He will get mad, I can guarantee, but all you'll need is one or two pics.

H

HMorris

We didn't take pics

Hi. Thanks for the advice, but we didn't take pictures and it's too late to do so - there is a new tenent. Any other advice? I am assuming that he also did not take pics, and if he did. . . .how do I not know it's from another unit?

C

CA. Landlady

>>> The maintenance guy claims that there was no attempt to clean at all. Which I know is incorrect.<<<

The problem is that many times a resident feels they left the premises clean or more clean than when they moved in. It's a matter of opinion and DOCUMENTATION. Your opinion of clean apparently is not the same opinion as the managements.

Did you not request an in person move out inspection? Have you received an itemized statement of the disposition of your deposit or did you pay a deposit? He has his crew to testify as to what they did and would most likely submit receipts if this should go to trial.

Here's some reading material for you.

http://cses.com/manage/LTLaw/colorado.htm

http://www.ago.state.co.us/CONSPROT.stm

http://www.rentlaw.com/securitydeposit.htm

>>>One of most important things to do when you leave an apartment (or other rental) is to do a walk through with the owner or property manager. Take pictures when you leave and both agree to any damages or to the condition of the rental. BEFORE you move in, a walk through should be done and note any damages and condition of the rental. The move-in list should be referred to when you leave. Also, pictures BEFORE you move in of the condition should be done as well.
To ensure you get back your deposit - RETURN THE KEYS (avoid a fee); give the landlord your forwarding address (failure to do so may void any "time" rights you have). Use common sense and leave the rental at least "broom clean". If you do not have time to clean, hire a cleaning service. Ask the landlord if they have a cleaning service that they use or recommend.<<<

Last edited:
H

HMorris

Thanks for the advice although it seems to be too late for this. Which I am now kicking myself for. The Manager did give us our walk through sheet which includes my original walk through notes (they are charging us with some of the stuff I wrote on that) and it also includes the maintenece guy's notes. Basically what he did was write dirty at the top of the column and drew a line straight down, even through things that we didn't even have at our apartment. It just makes it hard to believe that he even looked at the place. Also, we have a friend of a friend that didn't clean when they left and the recieved all of their deposit back which doesn't seem fair to me. I probably won't take $280 to court, but this just doesn't seem right.

C

CA. Landlady

>>>(they are charging us with some of the stuff I wrote on that)<<<

Maybe you could negotiate for a little discount of the current move out charges?

>>>Also, we have a friend of a friend that didn't clean when they left and the recieved all of their deposit back which doesn't seem fair to me.<<<

Hearsay. Never believe everything you hear.

I've had people say to me that they expect the worst from me when they move out because our business relationship was not the greatest. Actually, what I do is remove myself from the what will be charged and the move out inspection. It's a matter of actual costs and my staff's determinations not mine unless I find my staff playing favoritism. I do spot checks. Also for instance, if a customer had a falling out with my maint. supervisor he would not be apart of that particular move out inspection. I would request other staff members preform it. I will always require two staff members be present during the inspection as well. Sometimes I will even request that other company officer's view the residence.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">