• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cheating Husand Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rachel12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Hello, my husband of five years has been cheating on me regularly and then I found out that he is planning to leave me within a month. His friends are encouraging this and not offering to help even consider talking through issues of our marriage. He is currently the only one that works and all of our utilities, including the rent is in his name. We have a three year old child as well. I want to know what steps that I am able to take to be able to secure at least some form of security of a place to live until I am able to find a job. I do not know where to go from here and to be frank, I am scared and yet upset at the same time.

Eekamouse

Hello, my husband of five years has been cheating on me regularly and then I found out that he is planning to leave me within a month. His friends are encouraging this and not offering to help even consider talking through issues of our marriage. He is currently the only one that works and all of our utilities, including the rent is in his name. We have a three year old child as well. I want to know what steps that I am able to take to be able to secure at least some form of security of a place to live until I am able to find a job. I do not know where to go from here and to be frank, I am scared and yet upset at the same time.
Why would you expect his friends to offer you help? They're his friends, not your own. If you've known he's been cheating on you, why have you stuck around? You should be looking for work so you can start supporting yourself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You need to get a job and support yourself. You don't have to move out until there is a court order stating as such. And as you were asked, why have you stayed with someone who is consistently cheating on you?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Why would you expect his friends to offer you help? They're his friends, not your own. If you've known he's been cheating on you, why have you stuck around? You should be looking for work so you can start supporting yourself.
My read was that it was the friends encouraging the cheating/bad behavior, and supportive of him "having fun", "having his own life", and "being happy".
His friends (probably childless themselves, or absent parents) agree with him that OP is no longer fun, she's a stick in the mud, focused on her kid, and whines too much about "commitment".

OP's husband's choice of "friends" is in line with his own character. "Birds of a feather" is a cliché for a reason, as is "water seeks its own level".

As OG pointed out, you don't *have* to leave until there is a court order stating you must.

What you seem to lack is a support network. The following is personal advice, not legal, but can ultimately help you legally.

1) If you can, locate some mothers/parent groups near you that are a good fit. You may have to try several on for size before you find one that fits. If the group meetings make you feel like crying, then it is the wrong group for you. Do not be afraid to try different things, or revisit groups if there is a leadership change.

2) Connect with a faith community. If your husband and friends are already active, valued members of your current faith community, then find a better faith community. And by "better" I mean one that shares your values, and affirms your inherent worth, rather than denigrating you.

3) If you feel that you are emotionally abused, reach out to your area's group(s) that provides resources for victims of domestic violence, and ask for counselling/therapy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">