• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cheating on hours of work...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nailtech

What is the name of your state? Texas

my daughter works for a video store part time, she works nights, when its time to close the computers automatically clock them out at midnight on weekends but they are required to stay until 1 am to clean up and they are not paid for that extra hour of work, when I asked my daughter about it, she said "they get into trouble if they get to many hours".. this is not right, and how would one stop this practice this video store has? I feel they are cheating these kids out of money well earned... what steps should be taken to get this practice stopped for the sake of all the kids who work there now and in the future...??

Beth3

If your daughter is in a non-exempt* position, then the company is indeed breaking the law by clocking her and her co-workers out early and not paying them all the hours they actually work.

(*By non-exempt I mean hourly paid and that she is not working in a true managerial capacity - in which case she'd likely be paid on a salary basis.)

What somebody needs to do is contact the Texas Department of Labor/wage and hour division and file a complaint. They will investigate without revealing who contacted them.

In the meantime your daughter should be keeping her own private records of the actual hours she works, as should her co-workers. When the State shows up, they will find it very helpful information.

nailtech

yes they are hourly wage, minimum at that, this is a small chain of video stores, and I'm wondering how many other stores they own have the same practice, calculating the amount of employees they have, thats alot of money the video store cheats these kids out of....

I tried to tell my daughter when your clocked out, you walk out...

thanks for you help, I will get on the phone monday morning to the labor and wage board,. you dont have to be an employee to make a complaint do you? My daughter is 19 (and lives with me)but she works a full time job and this video store part time and its her first two jobs in her life and she's to scared to make waves in fear it will reflect on her future jobs in life... and I'm trying to teach her that this is wrong (to take advantage of people) and its against the law...

Beth3

Nope. You don't have to be an employee to contact them and let them know what's going on. I don't know whether they'll pursue the situation based on your input or will require a current or past employee to actually make a complaint but they will let you know.

A

ahutchGA

Another point...

What if your daughter gets injured while working that "off" hour? I would bet the company would say they don't have any liability for her since she was working off the clock, and according to records, wasn't "supposed" to be there.

Just a thought...

Good luck!
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">