• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check alterations changed date on check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I post dated a check and the date was altered by another individual
Why was the date changed and who changed it?

The post-dating of a check does not prevent the check from being cashed by the recipient upon receipt. The check is legal tender when signed.

The one who can be in trouble if the postdated check is cashed is the writer of the check, if funds are not available to cover the amount of the check.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

AS soon as a account holder signs a check it is supposed to be good , changing the date may not even be caught by a bank , since checks are electronically processed. Not likely there is much to do but live with the bounce fee (s) and don't pot date checks any more. BTW many years ago when banks did have a job called proof reader to process checks I had forgotten to sign one check ( I think it was a utility bill ) so any way the bank paid it anyway with out my signature )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">