• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Checking Progress of Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Tracy Alex

Pennsylvania: I am afraid that my fiance's attorney has not filed him for divorce. It has been over a year since the since the attorney supposedly started the divorce proceedings. Upon checking w/his attorney, we found that the proceedings had not been started as of about four months ago. "We're busy" was the reason why. Is there a way to check and see if his divorce is in process? We paid this lawyer up front. Please help.


Senior Member
My response:

Yes, there is.

You call the Filing Clerk of the court where the action should be filed. You give the clerk your fiance's name and ask, "Is there a Divorce action filed under that name".

Lickity split, the clerk punches the information into his / her computer and sees what pops up. The clerk will either say yes or no. If yes, then ask when it was filed, and whether a "Proof of Service" has been filed.

If no, then your fiance contacts another attorney and hires that new attorney, who will, in turn, contact the first attorney to inform that he / she is the new attorney and to transfer the file to the new attorney. The new attorney will also demand a reimbursement for all unearned fees paid by your fiance.



Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential