• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chemical Spill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamesWhitney

Neither you nor the police can prevent the tank owner from retrieving the tank. You will need a court order. You already have soil and water samples being tested, correct?
The samples will are in the process of being tested. It takes 10 days to obtain the results.

JamesWhitney

Update: PI attorneys are involved. I initially found an environmental attorney but he said this was beyond him and I need PI. They will be contacting the truck owner's attorney. If we are able to keep this out of court, can I sue the truck owner for my PI attorney costs?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Update: PI attorneys are involved. I initially found an environmental attorney but he said this was beyond him and I need PI. They will be contacting the truck owner's attorney. If we are able to keep this out of court, can I sue the truck owner for my PI attorney costs?
No - your attorney fees are not compensable

quincy

I am a bit surprised by the response you received from the environmental attorney but I am glad you have involved personal injury attorneys.

Speak to your attorney about his/her fees. Generally personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis and are paid out of the damages awarded.

Thank you for the update.

JamesWhitney

I am a bit surprised by the response you received from the environmental attorney but I am glad you have involved personal injury attorneys.

Speak to your attorney about his/her fees. Generally personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis and are paid out of the damages awarded.

Thank you for the update.
He said contingency is an option if it goes to litigation. However, their first step is for them to talk to his attorney and recommend filing an insurance claim to cover the damages. Then see what they decide to do from there.

quincy

He said contingency is an option if it goes to litigation. However, their first step is for them to talk to his attorney and recommend filing an insurance claim to cover the damages. Then see what they decide to do from there.
Ah. Okay.

A contingency payment arrangement should be available for a settlement as well.

Seeing how the insurer responds first, however, seems reasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">