• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chicago - two parking tickets for same offense/day?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizwin

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My husband got two parking tickets for parking on the street during a street cleaning in Chicago. The tickets are for the same offense but written at two different times by two different officers. Is this legal? The first ticket was still on the car when the second ticket was written. Should he contest this or just suck it up and pay?

- Ticket weary in Chicago

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Illinois

My husband got two parking tickets for parking on the street during a street cleaning in Chicago. The tickets are for the same offense but written at two different times by two different officers. Is this legal? The first ticket was still on the car when the second ticket was written. Should he contest this or just suck it up and pay?

- Ticket weary in Chicago
Was the car parked there at both times cited? If yes, then the tickets are valid.

lizwin

2 parking tix for same day/offense Chicago

In response to Zigner: Yes the car was parked there all day...no one was home and it was not moved at all on that day. It just sat accumulating those two tickets. Can they just keep ticketing like that? If so, what's to stop them from giving people 10 tickets or some such silliness?

moburkes

I don't understand why you think it is silliness. The first ticket was a "reminder" to move the vehicle. When they came back and saw that the vehicle was still in violation of the law, they gave another. Now, if the tickets were 10 or 20 minutes apart, while still legal, I would dispute it.

The Occultist

Can they just keep ticketing like that? If so, what's to stop them from giving people 10 tickets or some such silliness?
Yes, they can keep ticketing like that. You're right, there is nothing stopping them from writing out ticket after ticket. If an officer is so incline, he could stand by your car all day and write a new ticket every minute. So what's stopping them? They have better things to do. Stop parking illegally and you won't have this problem anymore.

sjohns4

Violations within 15min

Hi there,
I came across this thread and am scheduled for a hearing soon. I too received 2 tickets for the same expired meter violation within 15min of each other.

It was mentioned that is at least worth disputing. I will dispute on the grounds that the short time between violations was not sufficient to discover the notice and correct the state of the vehicle before receiving another violation.

Would you suggest any other possible defense?

Thanks in advance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi there,
I came across this thread and am scheduled for a hearing soon. I too received 2 tickets for the same expired meter violation within 15min of each other.

It was mentioned that is at least worth disputing. I will dispute on the grounds that the short time between violations was not sufficient to discover the notice and correct the state of the vehicle before receiving another violation.

Would you suggest any other possible defense?

Thanks in advance!
You will lose with that argument. What you CAN do is go in and ask for leniency...

davidmcbeth3

sjohns4 parking meters chicago

did chgo sell all their parking meters to a private company? then who enforces the meters, still chgo? I would argue that since the meters are not maintained by the city that the new owners need to be in court ... they dont have a foundation for the violation w/o them being there

The Occultist

did chgo sell all their parking meters to a private company? then who enforces the meters, still chgo? I would argue that since the meters are not maintained by the city that the new owners need to be in court ... they dont have a foundation for the violation w/o them being there
May I ask for the basis of this argument? (actual codes would be appreciated)

davidmcbeth3

have relatives in chitown

and they noted that the city sold its parking meters ... so if they are privately owned then they must lay the foundation for the meters being accurate.

Chgo asks you to mail your ticket to:
City of Chgo Dept, Of Revenue
PO Box 88298
Chicago, IL 60680-1298

So you can call the post office and ask for the physical address that this PO Box is listed to (with any box that takes $$$ the domestic mail manual notes that the box address must be disclosed to anyone who asks) You may need to speak with the postmaster.

davidmcbeth3

also, if the contract mandates a certain amt. from fines

then all tickets would be void .... just like the red light tickets with requiring so much a month in fines to be assessed...

I would file a FOIA request with the city for the contract & if it is like what I said, then file a motion to dismiss on the grounds that the contract demands tickets to be issued & you are an unfortunate victim of the contract....you likely can copy the motion filed for the red light tickets issue (was that Illinois or AZ or both??)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">