• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Abandoment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NJTCT

i live in nevada and my husbands ex has not seen or contacted us about our 5 year old son in 6 months, she has never paid child support in 2 years. what are our options in having her parental rights terminated? we do not want to deny custody, we just do not want her to have a say in his welfare. please help.

LegalBeagle

NJTCT said:
i live in nevada and my husbands ex has not seen or contacted us about our 5 year old son in 6 months, she has never paid child support in 2 years. what are our options in having her parental rights terminated? we do not want to deny custody, we just do not want her to have a say in his welfare. please help.
Then the father should file for 'sole' custody. This takes away many of her rights to joint decision making. He can also file to hold her in contempt for non payment of CS and to reduce her visitation or change it to supervised until such time as she has made an effort to come back into the child's life.

N

NJTCT

I appreciate your advise. We however know that she wants nothing to do with our son and has not since the day she gave birth to him. The only times that she has seen him is when her family has an event that she needs to use him for a shield. As her relationship with her family is also strained, we know that is why she has not contacted us at all to see him. Is there a way do you believe to have her sign of her parental rights. We would allow our son to see her only when it becomes his choice. I do not believe it is fair to send him on occasion whenever she shows up. When she doesn't see him again for months he thinks she doesn't like him, and that he has done something wrong. I truly do not agree that it is right to put a child through this emotional roller coaster just because her body was the instrument in which he was brought to his father and myself.
Thank you again for your advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">