• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody and support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PrettyBaby69

What is the name of your state?Florida
I am asking regarding my son's situation. He is nineteen years old and moved to Florida over a year ago with his girlfriend who is twenty-four. They reside together, he is the only one working and supporting the household. She gave birth to his son November 30, 2004. His son has his last name and now the mother is asking my son to vacate the residence. She wants child support but is threatening my son that he will not be able to see his child. I am aware that Florida does not recognize common law marriage, but they did file income taxes together in 2004. My son has accepted full responsablility of being a good provider for his child and the child's mother, but for whatever reason she no longer wants the relationship. My question to you is what are his rights as the father of this child, and can she stand in the way of him having visitation with his child? What should he do to protect his rights? Thank You a concerned mother.

PrettyBaby69

Worried grandmother in Alabama

This is regarding your reply to my posting about my son and his situation. When his son was born he signed an affadavit of paternity at the hospital. I am very worried about him because he is in Florida with her entire family and I am in Alabama couseling him on the phone. This girl is trying to put him out on the street. He has no where to go and does not want to leave his child, but she is making it very uncomfortable for him to stay there. Any more advice you have will be greatly appreciated. I can not believe after he stepped up to the plate and took responsability for his child she is going to put him through this. His father was never in his life and it is very important to him to be there for his son.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Then he needs to file for custody or visitation. The former isn't overly likely, unless it's joint and even that might be a long shot due to the age of the child. But he can certainly file for visitation and is assured of getting it - and she will be bound to follow the court order.

Unfortunately, this is an all too common situation, especially when people don't choose their partners more carefully.

VeronicaGia

PrettyBaby69 said:
This is regarding your reply to my posting about my son and his situation. When his son was born he signed an affadavit of paternity at the hospital. I am very worried about him because he is in Florida with her entire family and I am in Alabama couseling him on the phone. This girl is trying to put him out on the street. He has no where to go and does not want to leave his child, but she is making it very uncomfortable for him to stay there. Any more advice you have will be greatly appreciated. I can not believe after he stepped up to the plate and took responsability for his child she is going to put him through this. His father was never in his life and it is very important to him to be there for his son.
Are they renting or buying the home/apartment? Whose name is on the lease/mortgage. If he is solely on the lease/mortgage, he can go through the legal eviction process and she has no leg to stand on. If they are both on it, he can get a judge to court order her out. If she is solely on it, she still has to go through the legal eviction process to get him out, but he needs to decide if she is vindictive enough to call the police and claim domestic violence.

BL

--PARIDISE-- said:
You have been given great advice. I just had to comment on your screen name.

GO GRANNY!!!!
What the heck are all these tidbit comments to poster's threads lately ?

Are you off your meds , or on some new ones ?

Shay-Pari'e

Blonde Lebinese said:
What the heck are all these tidbit comments to poster's threads lately ?

Are you off your meds , or on some new ones ?
I'm perfectly healthy BL. I was giving the lady props for her screen name, I found it cute for a granny.

Are you off YOUR meds? As I recall, you have made some very strange posts here and had everyone including me worried about you.

NotSoNew

other people have given good advice, he must go file for visitation and custody at the court house ASAP, dont leave the house if he has nowhere to go (and IS on the lease or mortgage) I would stay no matter how uncomfortable she made it, because if he goes back to alabama, his chances of seeing the child are MUCH slimmer!

BL

--PARIDISE-- said:
I'm perfectly healthy BL. I was giving the lady props for her screen name, I found it cute for a granny.

Are you off YOUR meds? As I recall, you have made some very strange posts here and had everyone including me worried about you.

:D :rolleyes: ;) :cool: :eek: I don't see the sn connection , but If ya say so .. Who knows maybe I'm a Neanderthal .

BL

Summer Of 69 ? , Upside down 9 & 6 ? , two characters reversed ? , OH 69 year old , Mom's mom .... :D

Hey , I was never good at making heads or feet of what relatives were what , and their names LOl

Shay-Pari'e

OK guys,............Here is 69................

I am only leaving this up for a bit as it may get censored.

Do you get it now??????? ;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">