• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody and support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My cousin (Lake Tahoe, Ca.)is involved with a man that is very abusive and controlling. She has called the P.D. out on numerous occasions due to violence. Nothing is ever filed against hime due to his contacts with the police. She wants to move to So. Ca and take her 2 1/2 year old son with her. She has a very extended family here and the child loves being here with all of us.Can she move here and then start the custody and support battle? Considering that they are not married what steps does she need to take? Any help would be greatly appreciated!



HI..I wasnt involved with an abusive relationship but I wanted to move out of the state I lived in, with my children, to be closer to my mother and sister whom resided in a diffrent state. Is your cousin living with the man? Does he do anything for the child? I would say if she is living with him, she should try to stay with a friend or find her own place if possible and fight in the state she currently resides in ASAP. If she takes the child to another state he can claim she kidnapped the child. She can say in the courts that she was abused but if they have no record it is going to be a he/said, she/said theory. My case is a quite a bit diffrent though...I should have listened to the advice I just given you. I get along with my child's father. I wanted to move to IL to make a better life for my self and my boys. I didnt want to go to court and make things messy so the father, of the (2 y/o)baby, and I agreed that if he could take the child for one year (I would have visitation everyother weekend and take him weekly as well)but now that the year was up he was taking me to court to establish custody of his son. It was getting ridiculous. But good news...Things are going my way. TELL YOUR COUSIN TO GO TO COURT AND FILE TO LEAVE THE STATE, SHE MAY NEED AN ATTORNEY THOUGH..THE SOONER THE BETTER. I am not a lawyer by anymeans!!!!! I could be wrong with what I say, but this is the advice that I have learned through the people here on FREEADVICE.COM a few months ago. Tell her goodluck and keep her hopes up!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential